Online double bass programs?

Discussion in 'Double Bass Pedagogy [DB]' started by glocke1, Jan 6, 2019.

1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I've got a double bass here I've rented to gauge my interest level and need to get moving on working on it.

Lessons will be difficult for me due to my location and schedule. I'd basically be looking at one lesson a month i think.

is there an online method that anyone can recommend? I know it's not optimal, but I need to work with something and thats better than nothing.

jaysbassspace likes this.
  2. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I've seen a lot of double bass lessons on Youtube. You may be able to get started that way. Some of them offer Skype. I've never done online lessons but I would imagine that they work fine. At least to get up and running. Check out Real Bass Lessons, frcwolf and then there is John Goldsby with Trufire videos. All on youtube. I've taken a lot out of those videos and you may find them helpful. I think another guy to look into is Chris Fitzgerald.

3. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Check out Discover Double Bass with Geoff Chalmers. Good teachers, good programs, helpful guy. Discover Double Bass

4. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Check out the double bass Pedagogy forum.

5. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yes. In fact, this post itself belongs on the Pedagogy forum.

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Moved.

7. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Discover Double Bass, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Hi @glocke1 — I just recorded a couple of new extensive bass lesson courses for DiscoverDoubleBass.com — I'm really excited about these, and I think the first volume should be out soon. Please check back towards the end of January to see the new offerings. Discover Double Bass is producing a lot of quality bass courses for classical, jazz and world music. You can check out the free lessons online, and do a test run before you buy an entire course package.

I still like the Truefire bass lessons that I did a couple of years ago, and those can get a beginner jump-started on the double bass.

There are a load of not-so-good tutorials online for double bass, but I can wholeheartedly recommend John Clayton's videos.

And also @Chris Fitzgerald 's instructional videos here. Chris is very thorough with his instruction, and he often does videos with guest bassists from the Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops. Check those out!

8. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

thanks..I signed up for the DDB.com beginners lessons. seems pretty good so far, though some of the hand positions and shifts Im not 100% on. I'll have to re-watch those.

Wish I would have stuck with this back in college...

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 21, 2021