Online electronic store, rippin us off on shipping?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Hello,

This got nothing to do with bass, maybe a little bit, I was going to buy a digital camera so that I can post pics of my gig and bass on Talkbass and to my friends. I was waiting for the price to go down after the holidays, and it did. I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix 5000 which was $999.00 and 5.25 mega pixel, I thought it was a good price. Cos other online store was charging $1049 or $1099. But the shipping for the $999.000 UPS Ground is $25? This doesn't make sense, so I logged in to UPS and for a 10 pound item with insurance for $1000 is only $11.00. So I asked the store how come? And they simply say it's their shipping price but on the check out basket it says UPS Ground Shipping? Anyways, I was thinking to hold off this camera and buy a stingray or a rickenbacker:D

Any of you have the same experience? By the way, the store originates in Brooklyn, NY.
  2. the cost of shipping also includes some employee to box up the item and to do the documentation, or paper work. (note) usualy some minimum wage worker depending on the company your buying from.
  3. Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    Well thats not always true. In my old company we drop shiped Items to customers all the time. We never saw the product but we make money on the shipping. Its just another revenue stream. People also falsly beleive they are getting a better deal.

In my company now I am constantly up against customers that say my price is high that they can get it at so and so .com for cheaper. So I counter by saying I will match the price if they include shipping -- somtimes it turns out I was cheaper all along.
    Caveat Emptor

4. I tried to order a set of Duncan P pups from MF through their catalog, but the shipping was going to increase the price by half!!! Needless to say, I didn't get it from them. $45 dollar pups with a $22 shipping charge? Yeah, when you see flying pigs having a snowball fight in Hell.

Rock on
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    MF generally has a set shipping cost associated with the amount of the order. Special circumstances will push shipping costs up, but generally they will follow the table in the link below:

Shipping tables

6. Hmmm....
    I'd buy another Bass, or amp, or cab.........
  7. I found that is a lot more expensive for shipping overseas than, with exactly the same delivery time. Something smells.....
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The sad thing is, they are getting volume discounts from companies like UPS, so they are actually ripping you off more than you think they are.

9. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Wish I had your complaints... try moving to the Middle East and $25 for shipping will make you scream with hapiness. To ship a bass costs from $240 to $280...and nothing can be shipped for less than about $48.
  10. I second that. If only I paid $25 for shipping. :(
  11. A company has to make money to cover all of its expeses, and make a little profit. It seems most places will charge more for shipping as a sort of "catch all." So instead of charging you .08 for advertising costs, and .23 for electric bill, and .03 for internet fees, and other miscellaneous costs, they may just dump a certain price into shipping. Also, consider the fact they have to get a box and packing material. You wouldn't want to get your bass from the UPS guy with nothing but a postage stamp on it now would you?

Granted, paying $22 for shipping on a set of pick ups is retarded, especially when I only payed $24 shipping for a bass, gig bag, strap and stand, encompassing about 22 pounds worth of stuff.

I'm not defending any company's shipping policy, just thinking logically of what "I" would do to make ends meet.
  12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I'd go with a stingray!i mean you could always do it the old fashion way,go buy a disposable camera($5) take a picture of all your equipment,then get the pics developed and get the disk and upload em to talkbass!
  13. I second frankencow, now stingray or rickenbacker? I'll decide after The Strokes concert on Jan 30th, I love their tone.