Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Online graduate degrees. Experiences?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I keep seeing these ads for online MBAs, etc. Has anyone looked into those?

Just doing some research. Since I'm sitting in front of the computer anyway...

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wouldn't even consider, unless it was from a real university with good reputation, and you would do the arrangements with them at the university. Some universitys do offer distance/web-education, but the web is full of frauds.

I think the system is that actually pretty much anyone can give you a real or "real" degree, so unless it's from a well-known school you and your diploma are going to get laughed out from the building.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Be careful.

Make sure you're working with an accredited university...

...I take online classes at a large university, and I love them...for a bit of disclosure, I also take regular classes and also work for said university (thus, free classes).

I like the interaction (I find it's easier to express myself with the written word) and I like the flexablility of being able to 'log in' when I have time, or late at night, etc.

In terms of the actual classes, it's just like any classroom situation. I've had amazing professors who pushed and encouraged me to do my best and foster excitment in my studies and I've had absentee professors too.

4. www.classesusa.com

Some of those colleges seem kinda iffy (University of Phoenix :rolleyes: ) but some of those colleges are definitely the real thing...Gonzaga, Boston University, Loyola New Orleans, U. of Maryland, etc.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Regis University, a very well repected Jesuit University here in Denver, as both undergrad and graduate programs offered online.

Like everyone here has already said, as long as it is from a repected University then I think the idea of an online classe is a great idea especially for working adults, parents, or people with odd schedules.

IMO just as with any class, be it online or in person, you pretty much are going to get out of it what you put in.

6. University of Phoenix is a "real" online university, they have an office building close to me, and one of my coworkers went through their MBA program.

I received a Masters of Science from Southern Methodist University via their distance-learning program a couple years ago. While there are a few disadvantages, it's the only way I could get it and still work full time. Of course, SMU is a "bricks and mortar" university so I was confident it was a "real" degree.

Here's how their program worked: they videotaped their regular classes and sent me a DVD of each class. I watched each DVD at home and completed any homework and papers, with deadlines established by the professor, and emailed them in. Exams were administered by a suitable proxy at work--I chose my department secretary: she would get the test, then give it to me and fetch me when the time limit was over, then she mailed it back. This is not a "work at your own pace" program: although there's some flexibility, there are very real deadlines that must be met. 10 classes at 3 classes per year, so it took a tad over 3 years.

Now there are other issues: will your company accept your degree as being "real"? In my case, no problem.

The bigger issue: will the advanced degree further my career? Unfortunately, my company didn't reward me at all when I got my degree. I believe changing companies would have been necessary.