Online Jazz bass Theory Lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jsp5107, Mar 26, 2004.

1. jsp5107

jsp5107 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Can someone point me toward some free online jazz theory lessons. Ive searched for a long time without results and I dont have enough money to buy books yet. I just need a resource that can get me started with Jazz theory.

Also, can someone help me with minor versions of the 7 modes? I used my knowledge of theory to create minor (b3, b6, b7) versions of the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian modes that span the fretboard.
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
  3. tpmiller08

Mar 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Holy reviving dead threads batman! :ninja:

Just got a question or two about jazz theory.

I have a basic understanding of classic theory. Now I'm looking to learn some jazz theory to round out my playing a bit.

What major differences will I notice in the begining with classic theory and jazz?
    Are there certain things I should "ignore" about classic theory when studying jazz?
    If a bass falls in the woods, does it make a sound?

Thanks guys!

-Troy :bassist:
  4. onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    One of the big differences is the quality of chords is expressed differently in classical music theory than in jazz and that's just for ease of sight reading.

C: ii7 V7 I classical= IImin7 V7 I jazz <- All capital letters for the root with a Maj, Min, Dim, Aug or Min7 b5 to describe the chord's quality.

Also, secondary dominants are not written out like classical theory would suggest:

Cmin: V7/V > V7 > i classical = II7 > V7 > i jazz
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
  6. chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    The theory is very important but transcription separates the boys from the men.

Take a simple Ray Brown bass line, transcribe it bar by bar, write it out with chord symbols over each bar, and analyze all the funny business.

Repeat til walking basslines make sense.

Wanna learn how to solo? Do the same thing with a Miles solo.

I recommend these two cats because the ideas are crystal clear, and are based in sound "theory" 99-100% of the time.

Remember, the theory ALWAYS follows the practice. I'm still trying to figure out how to explain this one passage in a Patitucci solo! Or... how Bach could get away with arpeggiating a M7b9 three centuries ago.:eek:
  7. Are you talking about Miles Davis here?

I could spend hours trying to work out his stuff...
  8. chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Yep, Miles.

His solo on Freddy the Freeloader off of Kind of Blue is very easy to transcribe, and will open your eyes to the use of upper extensions, in this case, over Ab7#11.

It will take alot of time, but working out of books takes just as long, and doesn't improve your ear training or give you "authentic" use of the idiom. The good news is that each consecutive solo makes you better at transcribing- it just gets easier.
  9. proindu

Apr 12, 2013
    I have a great link for you! If you enjoy it, you can keep looking for more videos in the same channel:

10. proindu

Apr 12, 2013
    In the videos I posted to you, on the topic 8 they talk about modes, one good tip, everything you learn, do it in all the positions you can find in the bass. 9 is really great too.