Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Online Player

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by five tip leaf, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Just occured to me....does anyone else pick up their bass and play around whilst browsing the forums?
    I say this as i sit in my flat at 4am, wondering why i'm playing 'continumm', and not sleeping......:confused:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used to, but lately , since I'm using a laptop now, it's impractical ;)

however, for the past week I haven't been able to sleep, so I end up playing bass all night(till like 5 or 6) before dozing off.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I like to hook my metronome up to the stereo and play some exercises to the clicks, it keeps me practicing and it keeps me from getting bored on the net. I to find myself practicing before bed a lot, specially this past week or two. I end up playing till around 4 in the morning.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I do. I was practicing a little slap line at 2 am the other night.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This, and stuff like this, is NOT practicing. Practicing is focused, undevided attention decicated to improving. Twiddling your fingers while surfing is just that. There's an old Zen saying that applies here:

To do two things at once is to neither well.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Really? Modern psychology says we can pay attention to about seven things at once. "The magic number seven plus or minus two."

Never mind, just being a contrarian. :)

Couldn't agree with you more, Pacman. Practice means devoting "all" your senses and talents in an effort to improve them all. They all grow at once, don't they?

That's another thing modern science tells us, that a butterfly flapping its wings in the Himalayas can trigger a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico.

In other words, there's "dedicated practice" and then there's "goofing around". But goofing around isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a good thing. It's just not "practice" in the usual sense.

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    While I agree with Pacman that practice is best when you devote all your attention, I do still believe you can practice while doing something else and still improve some. My friend of mine who is a drummer used to just tap paradiddles and polyrhythms on his leg in class while listening to the teacher. Sure he wasn't giving all his attention to it, but he can play those rhythms pretty dang fast now. Probably not the best example, but I think you get my point.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    How did he do in the class?

9. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Actually he did just fine. I am a fan of multitasking.