Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

online sellers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Feb 16, 2001.

1. i'm started to wonder if i should buy my next bass onlinne cause prices are great, so i gotta ask, how do i know whether the sites are secure or not???

thanks

2. man i should start spell checking

3. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Funk,

That's a realtively easy one to answer. If you're on a page that's asking you for your credit card number, or really any information about you that you wouldn't shout to the world in a crowded train station, make sure that a little yellow key is showing at the bottom of your browser window in the status bar. Put your mouse cursor over it and it should say, "SSL Secured (128-bit)." If you don't see that little key on a page that asks for your CC#, RUN AWAY, warn your friends, warn your family, and tell all your enemies how you got lucky and bought aa Conklin 7-string for $500 bucks from that site! ;)

What the SSL-Secure means is that all the information that you send back to the server from that page will be encrypted using a 128-bit (or sometimes 40-bit) key and can only be decrypted by the server with that key. Of course, this isn't an encryption scheme that is impossible to decrypt, but it would take someone armed with an extrodinary knowledge of cryptography and a Cray supercomputer to do it.

4. thanks a lot man, appreciate it, cause i would of never looked for that and went and bought like a cable with a credit card and end up spendin all my cash!

5. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    No problem, amigo. I'm sure you wouldn't have been the first to buy a $1,000 guitar cord! :)

6. i'd still feel like a complete dumbass