Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

online trading/lost mail issues

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I recently sold a piece of equipment online, which was shipped out vis USPS priority in a timely manner. A week or so went by, and the buyer let me know that he still had not gotten his item. I got out the insurance receipt, and emailed him the number on it. I checked it out online, and the number wasn't showing up, so I called my local post office and gave them the information. They checked on it too, and said that it is not appearing on their systems either, and that I will have to wait 30 days to fill out a claim for lost item.....the 30 days I am assuming is in case it happens to turn up somewhere between now and then.

I explained to the buyer the situation, and even emailed him a copy of the insurance receiot which is stamped and dated from the post office, made out in his name, just to ease his mind to know it was actually sent, and this is on the post office, and not me. Since then, he has been demanding an instant refund, in which I replied severl times why this isn't possible on my end. First off, if I send him a refund, and the package does end up being delivered, I am out the money I paid for the item ($450), the piece of equipment, and any kind of recourse whatsoever. Not to mention, I simply cannot afford the financial loss at this time. I explained to him (once again several times) that this was not his mistake, nor mine....it was the postal service that dropped the ball (with proof none the less), and we will need to wait for them to take their course on making right on this.

For some reason the buyer couldn't understand this. He continually sent me emails once again rehashing all the same complaints he had before, telling me his side on why I should just refund his money on my own dime.

Well, I just got an email from paypal, he just filed a complaint for non-receipt of items, and as it stands my account is negative $380+. I am absolutely furious right now, and don't know what I should do. I sent paypal my response, with the insurance number, but it really does me no good....since the number is not showing up on their system.

What should I do? Am I right???? wrong????

You make the call!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man although it's a tough call I think you are in the right because looking at both sides, the guy could have the item and just be claiming he doesn't, but you obviously have the receipt that says you mailed the item as proof. If the guy has a friend that works at the post office it could even be possible that they are running some kind of racket where his friend takes the info out of the system or something. You never know. Either way I think it's reasonable to ask the buyer to wait the thirty days since you have the receipt and all. I'd be livid too after the Paypal thing. Hopefully they'll see your side of it.

brad cook

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes, I of course do have the receipt....it is sitiing right here in front of me. Paypal automatically deducts the amount from my account, "holds" it while they do their so-called "investigation", and when THEY decide who is in the right, they will either credit it back to my account, or refund the amount to him. Of course I was sent a link to reply from paypal, but they did not give me a chance to explain the situation anywhere, I had 3 options.

A. Provide a tracking number (which I did, but will still come up as unavailable, since it isn't in their system, and will most likely lose the decision for me)

B. Authorize a refund

C. Show proof of a previous refund.

There should have been some place I could of given soume correspondence with paypal, but there was not. If this ends up screwing with my checking, I am going to REALLY be PO!