1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Only my second passive bass ever, and it's niiiiiice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Jan 15, 2020.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Out of the bazillion basses I've had, I've only had one other bass that I used in passive mode, a Bacchus, and now with an all-passive Yamaha.

This sucker has tons of growl, sustain, and most suprisingly, a lot of versatility without a preamp. I do prefer master volume and blend knobs for live settings, but I only really use two main tones...fingersyle, and slap. So, no biggie, as I can dial up P and J tones quickly, if needed. It's nice to not be able to constantly fiddle with eq knobs, too...did that way too much with on-board midrange eq. I realized, perhaps most of all, that I can leave my bass plugged in, with no batteries to die during a gig!

This bass might change my tune with my preference towards active ones.

What you say?

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Never liked active. Passive all the way. Quiet. Likes effects better. Sustains longer. Etc.

JulienP., retslock, Mvf and 10 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) You know the rules. No pics. No bass.:D

2) I love passive basses. Most of mine are currently.

4. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yamaha BBP35 (Japanese)
    20200111_183230.jpg

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've moved a little in the other direction. I generally prefer passive, and dislike most active basses. My first two--an Ibanez SRX500 and 1999 Am. Deluxe Precision--didn't last long. To my ears, many active basses have a slightly synthetic tone I don't like.

But thanks to my G&L M-2500, I've learned to appreciate the benefits of a great active bass. It sounds phenomenal, and the flexibility is nearly essential in situations like musical theater shows. In rock bands I tend to "set and forget," so it doesn't matter there, but at other times it's great.

As a result, when I'm considering new basses, especially fives, I'm OK with having a preamp because I realize I might actually use it. I definitely want a passive mode though, and I wish my M-2500 had one. Those pickups would sound amazing on their own.

6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I had an L2500, and it was slammin'. Luckily, my new Yamaha can get that grind, or kind of like a Spector NS.

DJ Bebop and Nedmundo like this.
  7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I was once an “active bass or no bass” type. I started playing on active basses, first a borrowed Peavey Unity Koa PJ, then I bought a 3-band Stingray. But before that I had a cheap Aria Pro II Integra with soap bar’s and passive electronics - sounded like a wet turd. The Peavey opened my horizons and the Stingray solidified my stance.

Then I got an L2500, which essentially has a passive circuit, but I didn’t understand it...so I had a 2-band preamp installed into it and played it that way for 20 years.
    I recently started to hate the way it sounded active and preferred its passive tone, so I reinstalled the original preamp (yes I still had it 20 years later, except it was missing a couple of parts like a 3-way switch and a 10meg resistor...which I purchased for the retrofit). It is glorious. I actually now prefer passive basses and their inherent grit and growl, except for the Stingray - that should never be passive.

Ellery, Clutchcargo and songwriter21 like this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congrats on your Yamaha OP, that looks awesome - Yamaha does make some great solid basses. I've had other models, haven't tried that BB yet. A good passive bass can have just as much output and tone as an active, oddly enough my Stingray of choice is my US Musicman SUB which is passive, (the only Ray MM made as passive) and it's a great bass as it still has that MM bite but the warmth of a P Bass. The thing is loud too.
    Another bass that comes to mind is the G&L Kiloton that may interest you, it's similar to my MM SUB Ray, it's passive but extremely powerful.

I too generally prefer passive basses for the same reason, but there are active basses where the preamp is a little more transparent so you don't get that synthetic tone - I currently have a G&L M2000 (an NBD post upcoming) and a Traben John Moyer bass which are actually very similar with the Traben being a little more versatile with the five way switch to select between pickup wiring, also it's got more lows. I've also owned an G&L L2000. So if you like your G&L, I'm pretty sure you'd like the Traben Chaos Core or the John Moyer models- terrific basses without all that metal bling.

woodyng2, Nedmundo and songwriter21 like this.
  9. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I dig G&L, and had a kickass L2500 years ago. But unless the necks are shimmed (mine was), the action can't get anywhere near my stock Yamaha. I did consider a Kiloton for a while, though. On a slightly different note, and with it being an active bass, too, Yamaha's BBNE2 (Nathan East signature bass) gets trounced by the BBP35, as I've tried the East before. The East sounds a little bigger/fuller and more polite, but the P35 is in-your-face attitude (like G&L, more towards the "L" series). The 35 can be as warm/tame as I want, too, so it floors me!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I like both . My Ibanez Talman 605 came with Nordstrand pickups and a 2 band active pre that had a switch to make it passive if you want . In my effort to upgrade the preamp I installed an Audere 2 band , I like those preamps a lot . With the Audere it can't do passive anymore and I do miss it , the bass sounded great that way too . The Audere does just what it is supposed to do but I should have left it alone , the Ibanez pre sounded very good too . My Sire Jazz 5 can be run passive and I run it that way most of the time .

woodyng2 and songwriter21 like this.
  11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Never found a good reason to add the hassle and risk of an active. YMMV

12. skyline_01

skyline_01 Jeremy Nichols, Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio
    Those passive BB basses are so badass - congrats on grabbing one! I've been jonesing for one for as long as I can remember.

Bassdirty and songwriter21 like this.
  13. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I can't recommend them enough.

dramatwist and skyline_01 like this.
  14. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Yamaha instruments kick butt at every price point that they compete at.

DrMole, drumvsbass, TideSwing and 2 others like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I started on passive basses back in the 70s. I was big on active basses during the 80s until well into the 90s. But since then I’ve grown to prefer and have mostly gone back over to passive basses once again. And I don't think I’ve given up anything by doing so.

Other than an active fretless, an ABG, and my 5-string, everything else I now regularly play is passive.

songwriter21 likes this.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    So it's still active if it has a preamp.

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've read about folks shimming G&L necks back in the day, but they've been using a Plek machine since mid-2006, and now get very low action. I don't think many need shimming these days. The low action is one reason I went from four Fenders and one G&L to four G&Ls and one Fender! All of mine set up nice and low, but the M-2500 and SB-2 are probably the best in that respect. None, however, get as low as a 2006/7 L-1500 I used to have. It was unbelievable.

I've considered that Yamaha, which looks like an extremely cool bass. Congrats.

pjbassist and songwriter21 like this.
  18. I started with a passive Yamaha p bass in middle school, then went to strictly active basses for 20 years. Now I’m playing a passive fender p with rounds and passive Moollon p with flats as my main axes. I really don’t miss the battery and I dig the passive P tone these days. I’ve sold my active basses, other than a fretless Stingray that’s active and keep just to have fretless in the stable, and I’ll never sell my active Warwick Fortress One. That thing still plays and sounds incredible for when I need a low B string and/or a more modern sound.

songwriter21 likes this.
  19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Like most on this and the other thread, I've done active, but am back, and staying with passive. I've got pedals that will get me the active thing when needed. Besides, less weight without the extra 1 or 2 (18v) 9 volts.

20. songwriter21 likes this.