1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Only ONE (Boutique) Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    For those of you that own several (4, 5, 6 or more) Basses; Would you be willing to give up every one of them, and settle for having just ONE Boutique Bass? (if you could); and Which Bass would it take for you to give up all your current favorite Basses? I think MAYBE mine would be a Fodera Emperor 5 05-321610100-4098_2.jpg dsc_8071-2_1.jpg

gkbass13, TolerancEJ, rmayer and 6 others like this.
  2. nbsipics

nbsipics Boredom is Dangerous Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Marleux Contra Fretless. But I would cheat and keep my Diva too.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I "only" own three right now, but sure, if someone gave me a really nice carved upright I'd never touch another BG ever if that was part of the deal.

Pbassmanca, DrayMiles, wmmj and 7 others like this.
  4. VoodooJazz

VoodooJazz

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern California
    <your name here>
    Bigbri, soflbass, rmayer and 3 others like this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Interesting question, but no. I'm very satisfied with my family.

downloadfile-2.jpg

6. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    The top bass is a real beauty!

Wisebass likes this.
  7. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Beautiful family! ;):thumbsup:

Ghastly, VoodooJazz and madjazzbass like this.
  8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Shweeet!!

Ghastly likes this.
  9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    NO chance! I need a minimum of 4: one with rounds, one with flats, one with tapes, and one detuned. Oh, maybe actually two detuned (one of those with flats). Oh, and also a fretless....

Kice, Pbassmanca, Mr_O'B and 2 others like this.
  10. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I prefer having the variety of my four players. :)

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Due to my need for a new pro camera I actually sold 3 of my 4 basses and now I appreciate my custom LB100 way more since I've fully bonded with it

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    No.

13. I almost did that: I owned only 2 basses for the last 10 years or so, a pair of Alembic five-strings. OK, they were certainly wonderful, and dealing with Alembic in Cali is just the best, terrific people. Mine would make just about any tone you can think of. Certainly couldn't moan about the build quality. Owning one (if they suit you) really is everything you'd think it would be, and more. Amazingly, Ron's electronics are so clean, playing one MAKES you clean up your technique. Spooky, really.

My wife's health forced the sale of them (I basically played them for free for that time period). And you know what? It was just time, anyway. It's like the old saying about eating steak and lobster every day would get old after a while . . . . well, guess what, it does. I owned and enjoyed them, but it was time for something else, and I sold them to two great guys who really dig them. And after owning them, I doubt I'd ever be in the market for a 'boutique' bass again. Been there / done that. After a Rolls-Royce, just exactly what would I 'trade up' to ?

I'm now hotrodding a Squier or two and I'm having a ball, something I always wanted to do. I'm at an age where I crave simplicity and economy of purpose, so instead of rack system and audiophile cabinets, a Jazz and a Bassman amp seems to fit my outlook these days.

At the end of the day, it's what fits your wants and needs, and none of them play themselves or automatically make you a better player. Designer basses are wonderful, and there really is nothing like an Alembic, but the screwy thing? I still sound like me on the Squier, just like I did on my Elan Five.

DSCF1337 (Copy).JPG

This maybe isn't the rah-rah answer you might have expected, but this is what I lived.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Not me. More is more fun.

fourtet102, Mr_O'B, Ghastly and 3 others like this.
  15. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    No... please, not this 'one bass' madness again! :woot:

16. Only if this is some sort of 'code' for 'You're actually allowed to have more than one'...

17. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    The question is: "Would you settle for having just ONE Boutique Bass?"

It doesn't imply anything about not having as many non-boutique basses as your wallet/storage capacity can handle :woot: :bassist: :hyper:

18. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    I am not sure if an F- Bass is considered boutique these days but that and a G&l L-1000 are all I need to keep me content. No need to keep looking for the next greatest bass.

KRW, wmmj, lowdownthump and 1 other person like this.
  19. 4691DD3C-DC10-4EDC-8A56-8059940D06CB.jpeg I only own one boutique that I stumbled into on a trade. I would have never paid outright for it. So I guess yes I can do only one boutique bass. For me it is a mayones jabba classic and is my go to for studio work.

FenderB, gorneyg, Mr_O'B and 3 others like this.
  20. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I have 4 basses and recently had this built for me - 1471589060908.jpg 1471589038385.jpg
    Built by Australian Luthier Richard J Greenup @ RJ's Custom Shop in Stanmore, Sydney. I could happily play this for the rest of my life. It's perfect.