Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Only-Piezo Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EvilBassPlayer, May 6, 2002.

1. Thinking on my next dream bass (this is an endless topic in my head :D ) the idea of a piezo pickup bridge with no other pickups, someway like a lightwave, with a fretless neck is a good idea or not?

Remember, im just dreaming, blame on me allowed!:eek::D

EBP

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I play my fretless Stingray 4 on piezo only quite often.
    Doc

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well...yes? Umm...whats the question? Get a fretless Lightwave equipped bass?

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Rick Turner makes the Electroline series...one option is a fretless with only his proprietary piezo pu's (which sound INCREDIBLE). Very tasty...clean looks and a sound to die for.
    BTW....his basses feature only a treble-cut tone control, and they still sound absloutley divine.
    Max

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a Steinberger CR5 - 5-string electric Double Bass - which is of course fretless - and which has piezo pickup only. I think this makes it sound more authentic - i.e. more like an acoustic double bass and less like a fretless bass guitar - although you also have to take account of the 42" scale!

6. The LOOK would be too cool... but the sound would probably have limited applications. Piezos tend to be very bright with lots of bite. There's a reason Rick Turner uses only a treble cut for tone.

Magnetic pu's are usually much warmer than piezos... they tend to be fuller and work wonders when blended with piezos. Why not try a magnetic in the neck position along with the piezo... but work on hiding the magnetic so it's hard to see. Kind of a stealth bass thing!

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rick Turner, Rob Allen, Godin, Azola...quite a few piezo only basses out there not even counting all the ABG models.

As long as you can deal with them NOT sounding like basses with magnetic pickups, then you can enjoy them for what they are.

Properly buffered piezos do not sound brittle and have much wider frequency response than mag pickups. There's also no harmonic cancellation due to the pickup location.

You can use non-metallic strings and you don't need to ground the strings (removes potential shock hazards and a source of noise).

No mag pickups underneath the strings also means great access for string popping.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had my mind changed on this - so, I had a Yamaha TRB6P with piezos, which on their own sounded harsh and brittle. But I presume that the system was designed with a mix of mags and piezos being used. I never used the piezos, hated the sound and was really biased gainst them - like minimula.

But having tried EUBs with both magnetic and piezo pickups, plus good pre-amp; I now favour the piezo-only option. They sound much more "acoustic" and really different from typical BG sound, but I like this. Now I go between the two and appreciate both - for some things a typical BG sound is best and for others the "acoustic vibe".

So - a gentle ballad or bossa sounds great with piezo only EUB, but funk things sound better with BG and mags!

9. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
  10. Interesting... It's a good idea, more acoustic, more bright sound... i think it will be a good addition to my stringed stuff (2 basses, guitar and cello):D

Thanks for the advice!

EBP