1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Only play ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, May 17, 2011.

1. Does anyone only play or gig AbG?

Why is it niched as a pratice or living room type instrument?

I have both and play both but mostly the ABG.

2. I prefer the tone of my electric basses. Not to mention that in order to play with other people, I tend to need an amp for my ABG, at which point I might as well just play my P bass. I definitely love having my ABG when the power goes out or I'm feeling like going outside and playing, but indoors I generally reach for one of the electrics.

3. Does anyone go to ther ABG first?I may just be odd but i like the feel,tone, and look of an ABG.

4. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    I played an ABG as my main bass for over ten years mostly in a drummer-less duo. For me it was a natural evolution from everything I'd learned about getting sound out of an acoustic instrument in years of playing the double bass but not want to lug one of those around anymore. It really fit where at that time and and where I was coming from. These days being hugely influenced by Steve Swallow (and gigging a lot less) I'm completely dedicated to playing the EBG with a pick. I don't own an ABG anymore but I'm on the lookout for a Tacoma. I could see going back to it as a main bass if the appropriate gigs came up.

I've whined about this ad nauseum in other threads but one huge reason you don't see more ABG's out there is they either really suck or cost a small fortune...there's nothing out there anymore in the $1200-$1800 range that would get you a pro quality bass without breaking the bank. Hey, Fender, bring back the Tacoma Thunderchief!

5. The main complaint seems to be lack of volume. I don't have any problems with that in most acoustic situations. I don't own one just yet, my first is being delivered tomorrow. I bought one so that I won't have to haul the upright to open mics, etc, where playing time is limited. My guess is that I'll play it about 40% of the time.

6. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Excuse my ignorance but what's an ABG?!

7. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    Acoustic Bass Guitar

8. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Acoustic Bass Guitar.

9. I have put alot of thought into selling one of my electrics to fund a pignose hog 30 for some outdoors play.Maybe alittle busking!

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The only thing though is that a Precision (or any solid body bass) doesn't sound the same as an ABG IMHO. It's a different sound when amplified.

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I like to play my ABG when everyone is in bed and I can't use an amp. I also used to like playing it down at the beach or if it was just a friend and I jamming acoustically with his guitar and my bass. We did that many times on numerous street corners in college. We would simply find a corner street where all of the dorms and/or frat houses were in college and would play for hours on end. For the live shows, I would use my ABG on a few ballads but that was it.

12. My ABG is the only bass I have or need. I string her piccolo and go nuts, or I use Chromes and tune C#. I don't gig, so I don't need anything electric or even an amp.

13. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    :eek:

you sinner, you...........

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I used to play my Breedlove in my acoustic trio, but I've switched to my Fodera for the versatility.

15. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    I use mine for busking and certain other situations. I LOVE the sound of an ABG but unless I found a REALLY good one, I couldn't use it as my main instrument. Very rare to find someone who only plays ABGs. But if you're looking for an awesome player who plays one 99% of the time, look up Brian Ritchie of The Violent Femmes.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I use mine for practice, and acoustic gigs without an amp.
    I have a custom ABG that is loud enough to compete, with guitars, fiddle, banjo, or acoustic piano.

17. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    Which makes it a semi-acoustic trio now?
    Are you actually dialing up radically different sounds or just prefer the sound of the Fodera? I know in larger venues I'd sometimes feel I was fighting to be present through the PA and would often use a Jerry Jones strung with flats instead.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. I don't plug the Fodera in.

19. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    Good on ya, more acts should take requests.

20. I've always dreamed of a fretless abg. Never seen one but damn, you can't tell me that it doesn't sound sexy! ::drool::