Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Onstage Footwear...and you...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Alright, here's a question....What kind of shoes do you wear onstage? I typically wear Lo- Top Vans or Converse, but i really dig playing barefooted. Great workout for the legs if you play barefooted (and jump around a lot). If the stage is kinda lumpy with nails and broken glass (and other assorted goodies :spit: ) i tend to keep the feet covered.. what about you?

2. Shoes.

Or boots.

I could go barefoot I guess, but there's a lot of stuff that can end up on stage. Wearing slippers could be fun.

3. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    +1 for barefoot.

I play in a 7-piece band though, so on tight stages, you've got to be careful.... :D

4. I don't like not having footwear on. My favorite rock and roll shoes were these cheap $10 gummy sole shoes- like a gummy eraser cube. Super comfy. I never did find another good pair of them. My current rock and roll shoes are leftovers from when my band endorsed Simple Shoes 8 years ago or so... Really comfy, non-slip soles!

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The most secure and comfortable footwear for wide, elephantine feet = New Balance 1006

Most stylish footwear for wide, elephantine feet = Bowling shoes!

Most fun fantasy footwear for wide, elephantine feet = Kiss boots

Definite no-nos = Topsiders, saddle shoes, opera pumps, crampons, ski boots, bicycle shoes, tap shoes, snow shoes, Wallabees

7. depends on the gig and the clothes im wearing.

But it could be either
    Black, white, bright red or brown sneaks
    Tan brown or black leather shoes
    Basic Brown or Black leather ankle boots.

8. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Barefoot?? Curious.

In order of most worn to least:
    Low top chucks
    Mary Janes
    Heels ("foxy" as my friends say) if it's a carpteted stage and chance of slippage is at a minimum
    Creepers

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'll do it barefoot once in awhile, but I just normally wear my black Doc Martins. Or a pair of Converse All Stars (but I seem to have lost them somewhere :confused: ).

10. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    $10 shiny tux shoes :D

11. barefoot. it just feels better.

I'll wear shoes if it's cold outside and I don't feel like taking my shoes on or off - or if we're playing on concrete. barefeet on concrete can be hazardous!!!!:eek:

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Depends on the stage.

I go barefoot when I can, but when Im unsure I wear my boots (Dr. Martens).

If Im lazy or plan on playing barefoot Ill throw on my red chucks since they're easier to put on and take off.

13. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I've just got one pair of old Nike's that my dad gave me a while back when he got a new pair. It's my only pair of shoes. I just play in those. I've got them on right now, as a matter of fact...

14. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I had some Vans skate shoes that were comfortable beyond belief.

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Nothing beats the comfort of Vans or Osiris'

16. cheap trainers.
    I used to wear Doc Martens, but my Zoom 506 got damaged by them.

17. Barefoot would actually suck a lot considering most of the stages I've been on are sort of scratchy stuff. I've worn sandals before and they were pretty cool. Personally, I think wearing something like sneakers would be cool, kinda like the Michael Manring look.

Anyone for getas or zoris? Maybe put down a little tatami mat where you stand to play bass. But then you'd have to go the whole way and wear a yukata. :)

18. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Converse.

Or bunny slippers.

19. Word.

Forget anything I've said. Bunny slippers. Who would've thunk?

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

YES!

I want some of those and maybe some other bunny-ish stuff like one of those coats with the ears on the hood, except I don't think they make them in size 3X, because I've only seen them on small children. But that would be awesome.

Or wait! I could take up collecting houseshoes/slippers and wear a different pair for each gig, say Bunny Slippers one gig. Garfield the Cat another, Those Simpsons ones where you put your foot in Homers mouth, Cow heads with the little horns sticking out on the sides and nostrils on the toes...yeah that's what I want...Where was I ?