Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Onstage Monitor for 5 String: 4x10 or 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Sep 9, 2001.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Is there any inherent advantage to 1x15 vs 4x10 for use onstage, knowing that the PA should be carrying most of the sound for the house?

I would expect the 4x10 to have better transient response, but not go as low.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    All else being equal, a 1x15 will have a longer throw, and take more distance for the wave to develop than a 4x10. Considering you're going to be using the cab as a monitor, you might be better off using tens because you will be able to hear them better standing close to them, and you won't have as many problems with it being too loud in the crowd.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ESP ~

Bring out the 115 of your choice, and my (or anyone else's) Eden D-410XLT will play lower and sound better doing it. This goes for my (or anyone else's) D-115XL, too.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Oh yeah one more thing. If you're going to be using it as a monitor why not get one of those wedge type cabs that tilt back? That way the speakers will be pointing up towards you and you will be able to hear them better.

5. I am using a Gallien Krueger 2 X 10 in a tilt back fashion with a 5 string. Works great for me, the 4 x 10 gets down to 31 hz and you can really feel the difference. You can also feel the diference in the 93 pound 4 x 10 vs the much lighter 2 x 10.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    IMO, that's a falsity. I think a bag end deep 1x15 will go quite a bit lower... :)

It seems that way to me, atleast.

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Folks have suggested that some cabs "go lower" than others. For a stage monitor, do I really want to go low?

It seems to me that at close range (5-10') a single driver might focus on me better than a multi-driver system. Am I wrong in this?

8. According to Bag Ends web site most of their 15" cabinets stop at 50 hz. Their 4 x 10 goes lower. The question of to you want depth in a monitor to me is one of personal prefereance and the overall bands desires. I have had cases where the depth of an on stage amp has tightend up the band and the over all stage dynamics and other cases where it killed it. To me I would rather have the ability to use it if I want to and cut it if I don't want it. The frequencys in that low of a range to me fall more into the "feel" it than the "hear" it. Of course I have been feeling it so much I am probably deaf in those ranges.