1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Onstage Promotional Methods

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    What do you use to promote your band during live performances? A banner? Kick drum logo? Scrims?

Photos welcome and appreciated.

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    We have a banner and I pass out business cards

Jimmy4string and Bodeanly like this.
  3. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Thanks for responding! Have you ever encountered a venue where hanging a banner was not an option?

4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I used to use a banner. The only time I had issues was in sports bars where TV's were every where. One bar had a TV right behind the stage and "could not turn it off". Banner didn't look too good with the TV projecting through it. But we left it up because we didn't want the TV behind us to be the main attraction (sports bar after all). Otherwise, you'll probably not have issues with banners. Do some recon on your venues first to see what the stage is like as no 2 venues are the same. Some places we opted not to use it because of the odd stage set up. Would also be wise to have stands to hang it from. Don't expect to be able rig it up on the wall. Scrims are great for projection of the logo or other visuals if the venue has room for it.

Bodeanly likes this.
  5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Not yet

Bodeanly likes this.
  6. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    BL wants scrims to set up in front of amps. I've always thought they looked kinda weird. Most of the venues we play have room for the banner, but he is anticipating that there will come a day when one does not.

7. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I'd be careful of that, that would add "equipment" to the stage area, and we all know stages are not fit for full bands.

Bodeanly likes this.
  8. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I am pretty much anti-scrim... especially ones that stand in front of my amp as I like to tweak a knob now and again.

viper4000 likes this.
  9. Banner and cards at the event.
    Lets see if i got our banner here...
    Banner.
    I got it from VistaPrint for like $60

Bodeanly likes this.
  10. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    We have a banner on a stand and logo on the kick drum.

It is a tall banner, so sometimes we can't display the entire thing, because it interferes with the lights.

Then give away business cards throughout the venue.

We're thinking of making Koozie drink insulators and toss them to the crowd.

11. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    Male exotic dancers (2-4 usually will suffice) with the band's logo printed on the banana hammocks.

sqlb3rn likes this.
  12. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    SE US
    why would they want to hide their amps behind a curtain? most people think stage gear looks cool.

I burn our DIY garage demo to CD-Rs and write our facebook url on it with a sharpie. Put them in a box on a table and let people take them for free. It even makes some people nostalgic, like they are getting a garage bootleg that will be worth money some day. We've even been asked to sign the CDs and we're just a bunch of local clowns with no fans.

The vocalist plugs our facebook page two or three times a set. The guitarist ordered some band stickers that he plans to give out. A banner with your band's website could be good. A band logo on the kick drum probably won't do much other than look cool, but what do I know? nothin.