Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ontario, Canada Conservatory Grades

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by beavrangers, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Ya, i was wondering if there are Convervatory grades for the bass (comparable to piano grades). For univerisity application i most likely wont be at the required piano grade of 10 playing by Febuarary, but for students who main instrument isnt piano, a grade 7 Conservatory level is requied. I am looking to see what level i would be at now for the bass, so if there is list a list or a description of each grade/level. I mentioned Ontario, Canada because i assumed that if they exsisted there would be differences from country to country, province to province. Any help please.

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    are u goin to U of T ?

3. Im trying to get into Western (London, Ontario). I checked out the U of T campus and really didnt like it.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    There are conservatory grades for double bass. A feat such as a three octave scale on DB which may require a very significant amount of technical practice and does show a certain level of facility on the instrument is a very minor thing for an electric bassist, however, so most of it wouldn't really apply. As it stands now, I don't think the RCM does anything for electric bass.

FWIW, you only need a grade 6 in piano for Ontario schools, and many are rather lenient in that you don't actually NEED it, just that if you don't, you have to take a keyboard proficiency course during the year. UoT has this as well. I would assume Western is similar.

5. That sucks that they only apply to double bass. For the piano, I am current in grade 7, grade 2 theory, and the audition dates are in febuary/march. From the University books, and websites, Ive found that the majority of the courses require grade 8 piano proficency. Some even grade 10 (performance diploma's). Please correct me if Im wrong. Im actually going to the school to find out what is specfically required for the programs Im interested in (Music Administrative Studies). If worst comes to worst, I have the grades to get in for a first year general BA. And by the end of that year I can just switch programs cause than ill be at the rite levels.

*also, I think Western is a little more strict, but correct me if im wrong

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Those are for people whose principal instrument while at the university is piano. Students who aren't studying piano as their principal instrument "require" a grade 6 in piano, and a grade 8 on your principal instrument (for classical programs.) Most jazz programs prefer the keyboard profiency, but don't require the RCM on your principal instrumnet.

7. Thanks a bunch Aaron. Im still gonna head up to Western to double check, but ur help is much appreciated. :bassist: :D

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No problemo. Go up to Western to check out their program anyway, I totally encourage it. I'm in the same boat as you, actually -- applying to UoT, Humber, McGill, and York this year.