Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ONYX brand basses? Ever heard of them..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Today in my travels from guitar store to guitar store, pawn shop to pawn shop... I spotted an old kind of beaten ONYX bass guitar, wood body, split pickup, four stings...Made in Japan... I'm just wondering if any of you have ever heard of this brand of basses before and what your opinions might be towards them if you have any :D Thanks ;) :bassist:

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whoa there's a blast from the past! My first ever bass was an ONYX, I'm talking about 1988 here. I did a deal with my dad that if he bought it for me, he wouldn't have to pay to send me to "schoolies" (the Aussies will know what that is) .

It looked good, and did the job while I was learning. I outgrew it soon enough and sold it to get a Fender P Lyte. For a beginner bass it was OK. Mind you if I was a beginner now, I'd certainly look at Essex as cheap bass at reasonable quality.

3. You're saying it's old-bad or old-good lol....?
    I've always heard alot of good things about old basses '70 this, 64 that etc,.. does that apply for this line of basses do you think..?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It was so long ago I can't even remember it all that well. All I can say is it got me through my beginner year quite well, but I don't really trust my judgement from back then. I'm a lot more tuned in to different bass tones nowdays but all basses sounded the same to me at that age :)

It was well built and looked quite cool.

5. I've actually been trying to find out a little about the type of bass, and it's manufacturer,.. but it's turning out to be harder then I thought... Thus far I have'nt even come across anything having to do with them... Argh,... annoying.,.. :scowl:

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You might find this thread from the ernie ball forum interesting...

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4583&highlight=onyx

apparently, Onyx were budget Japanese/Korean made guitars and basses for the Australian market.

7. Hmmm, I know it was'nt a cheap korean model, it clearly had made in japan on the back on a little metal plate... I would say the thing looks at least as old as me.... God, I want to but it just for the M-y-s-t-e-r-y... OoooOoooOoooo...
    I know it's not an Ernie Ball Copoff.. It has no color coat overtop of the wood, all the wood is clearly visible, it has a different wood in the center don't know what you'd call that, and the words ONYX are in mother of pearl in the head... The bass itself is more of a brow color....

Man I wish I had a digital camera... Alright please everyone at talkbass please help us find info on this Mysterious bass...
    I must know, the hunt for knowledge consumes me!!
    Thanks btw :D

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    The older ones were Japanese.

You probably won't find too much about them. They were probably a house brand, made by one of the bigger Japanese manufacturers and badged up for a specific Australian distributor.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland

It wasn't shaped like this, was it?

[​IMG]

(yes, I know that's a guitar :))

10. I used to have an Onyx bass. I also bought it in Australia, It was also my first bass, and you know what I Im gassing majorly for one. simply because I never should have sold it, It was a cool bass to play on, and surprisingly good do slap. Learnt all my chilli peppers stuff on that.
    I'd like to get my hands on one just for the sentimental value really...

It looked just like this actually:

[​IMG]

ps.: Schoolies Rocks! Surfers Paradise is the S#!T.

11. Sorry guys it did'nt look like either of those... Hmmm, Maybe I should buy it,... I know I would need to upgrade the pick-ups for sure and check all the electronics.... But the guys asking $275 and I don't know if he will lower that price... I don't want to pay more then $200.... The more I try to figure out stuff about this bass, and the more non-mainstream it becomes the more I like it... I don't want to buy a piece of **** but I don't want to look like every other bassist out there.. and if this bass is a kind you don't see very often maybe it would be worth putting money into....

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You've just jogged my memory. It was a good slapping bass. Obviously not in the league of my Stingray, but it was good the best sounding slap bass out of oll the beginner basses around my school at the time.

13. How do you know... I mean, what makes a bass a good slappin' bass...? Please excuse me for my ignorance..... I've never taken lessons and talkbass is my main source of bass info... :bassist:

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Everyone has their own idea of what a good slap tone is. To me a good slap bass is one which has a nice bite in the treble frequencies. If a bass has that, I can usually slap it quite happily and make up for any other deficiencies with EQ or technique. If it's missing treble bite, I usually put it down and move to a bass that has.

15. I know it's hard to say without a picture of the bass of which I'm speaking but if I could knock him down to $200 do you think it would be worth it? I know (virtually anyways) That I would have to work on the pick-ups but I have to do that with my five string anyways... Opinions..?

16. Well, I remember that I didt pay much at all for my Onyx, maybe round 200 AUD from a pawn Shop...

So, I dont think you should spend too much on it... Mine was mint and I only paid 200 for it... he's reachin a bit on that price... for 200 I'd buy one again.

17. I see..... Well I'll see what he says... I'll go there once I have the money check it out as best I can.. And then say that I have two0hundred and that this,that,and such is wrong so will he take $200... If not then he can go **** himself.... I hate people like him,... I've went in there before and he's pretty much a grouchy @$$h*|e..... I know now that I don't want to buy new... I just need to be patient... :D

18. hmmm as a rule I stay away from sellers like that... internet or No. I dont feel like giving my money to assholes... but, your call.

By the way, I said in the previous post that I'd get it again, but thats probably just because of "fake" sentimental value as that was my first bass... I have better basses than that these days and would probably hardly play it anymore, but it was a good bass to pay with, just not fantastic. what do you expect for the price? lol ;)

19. Bulldozerbass

Bulldozerbass

Oct 26, 2012
    I just came back home with my new Onyx Precision clone, it was made in Japan around 1979-80, I exchanged it in Warsaw (Poland) for my old Warwick Corvette Standard of 1998. I will attach some photo asap.

20. Bulldozerbass

Bulldozerbass

Oct 26, 2012
    Great instrument, alder & maple, made in Japan probably in 1979/80, brought to Poland from Germany. Threee layers pickguard, not this dodgy strange ultra red MIJ tortoise...Great Precision sound, deep and "burpy"...I am very happy with it, really.

Attached Files: