Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ooh the pain

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, May 22, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was playing bass when all of a sudden I felt a sharp pain in the tip of my left index finger. I think I got some sort of splinter from the strings because when I look real closely at my finger I can see a little black speck where the pain is concentrated. It doesn't hurt as long as i don't touch anything, but as soon as i touch something the pain is real sharp and concentrated at my finger tip. This really bites because one it hurts and two i can't play bass. anyone have any ideas of how to get this thing out? its too small to get with tweezers. And anyone have any idea how the heck it got into my finger in the first place?

2. You can try picking it out with a needle if it's too small for tweezers. Be sure to sterilize the needle first. It may work itself out on it's own, but if it's that painful, you might consider going to the doctor, and letting them take it out for you.

Lisa

3. put your finger in warm water with soap.. and wiggle and squeeze your finger a litttle.. should come out after a while..

option 2 : first drink a LOT of alchohol and use a large axe.. ;)

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'd go with the needle, my dad used to help me gets splinters (wooden ones) out with a needle - and a razor blade!!!!

I tend to avoid the razor blade these days. Also, AllodoX's option 1 is good, if you can sqeeze your finger with the thumb on the same hand towards the top of your finger, place the thumb on your other hand so that the nail is on the other side but close to where the splinter went in, you might be able to get it out far enough to either remove by using you thumbnails like tweezers, or even with tweezers! It might even come out jus with the pressure!!

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use razors all the time for this. The procedure is really quite simple and safe. Take a little soap and smear on the area, dont use warm water as this make the capillaries fill with more blood and can hid the splinter, and then lightly shave the area. This usually takes care of the problem.

Mike

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can also use nail clippers and just dig a big hole in your finger tip with them, then fill it with glue. Or use your head and do what the Dr. Mike said!

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Use cold water and do as Mike said