Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oohh... OD Bass Sample

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 19, 2006.

1. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Sounds like fuzz, with some univibe thing going on :bassist:

2. My old Peavey "Bass" head has a "fuzz" control that sounds a lot like that.

3. Yeah, I'm looking for a pedal I can buy.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    yeah definitely sounds like a fuzz with a tremelo, thats probably a synth, but i can imagine someone compressing a bass g a lot to get close enough to that sustain also.

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    yess i'd say fuzz and univibe, a tremolo is harsher I think

6. what is univibe?

7. Mmmmm fuzzzzzzzy....

Who are the band? :ninja:

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That sound really doesn't fit the discription of 'fuzz' to me. It's more than 'overdrive', but even as distortion-sounds go, I'd say it's pretty mild - I mean it's not that screamin' fuzz tone that I picture.. well - it does have that sort of 'spitting, sputter' a little, like a fuzz... Maybe there's some clean mixed-in too - that'd make a difference. (Sorry - I guess I'm just 'thinking out-loud'...)

For the general distortion sound, I'm picturing a distortion that I heard recently from a band I ran sound for (it really got my attention - it sounded great). I forget who makes it. I think it's yellow or orange; it's a small box labeled "distortion +" - like with a plus-sign. It must be MXR or ROSS or..? It's a famous one - I think like a classic re-issue of some sort?

The band I heard it with was, I believe, a 'No-wave'-style duo band from Chicago (I run house-sound, so...). She ran Fender Jazz to the Distortion + to a little Ampeg combo (maybe a flip-top?) I was really impressed with the miked sound that I got through the PA.

Joe
    (edit) Oh! Like someone else said: to get it to sound 'sythy' like that, you'd want to compress the bass before the distortion. This is what I always do for my distortion sound - compression before the distortion.
    J.P.

9. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    It's one of the effects that have tried to achieve a rotating speaker sound. Bassically univibe an automatic volume "pulse". You can rock a volume pedal back and forth to get kinda the same effect. In the sample above the rate has been set to match the tempo so there's only 1 swell per note.

My Boss V-Wah has a Uni-Vibe patch, and it can get kinda trippy if you set it up really sloooooow and use fuzz. I'll post samples if you want.

Dunlop makes one (the origanal, I believe) with an optional expression pedal that controlls the rate from off (back) to full rate (forward). The advantage to the V-Wah is it is the exp pedal :p

10. I guess I'll just have to try some distortions.

By the way, the band is TV On The Radio, and the song is Staring At The Sun. Its from the Young Liars EP.

11. yeah... TV on the radio's frist album rocked my socks, and if anyone can figure out how to do this kind of effect, mail me...

wonder if they would be kind enough to tell us