Oohh what does this do...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Mar 15, 2003.

1. I hope this is the right forum...

Nady CL5000 Compressor/Limiter/Gate

I think I pretty much understand compression, but what are Limiter/Gate? I'm assuming they limit something... :D

Also, I was considering an EQ rack to get more tonal control, I was looking at this one:

Nady GEQ 131 Single 31-Band EQ

Is Nady a good company to go with for racks? I know they make good wireless systems.

Gracias. :)
  2. jitsoa33

jitsoa33 Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    lafayette, ca
    a compressor cuts off the peaks of the signal that create clipping/signal spikes. the limiter limits the signal for the amp so that it doesnt clip/distort, and keeps the signal clean at high gain/volumes, and it also protects your speakers. the noise/signal gate keeps your system hiss-free, especially when you have tons of effect pedals hooked in. it just cleans up the signal and buffers it. i dont know much about nady, sorry. www.harmonycentral.com may have some credible reviews.

= )
  3. Ahh. Now, a compressor changes the tone a bit too, doesn't it? I hear "a compressed tone" a lot.

And the Limiter/gate sounds like a must for a live show.

Oh yeah, for $99, think the EQ rack is worth it?

4. jitsoa33

jitsoa33 Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    lafayette, ca
    well, the compressor does alter the sound...it keeps the tone tight and full and lush. its a sound youd have to ear with your own ears. = )
    an EQ rack couldn't hurt. it just offers more control over the shape of your tone. and a noise gate is most useful for recording, but is a PLUS for live situations.
  5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you're looking at that 31-band graphic, for the same $ (or actually, maybe even $79 from the big mail-order houses) you can get a Nady or a Behringer rackmount 5-band parametric EQ (they're all but identical, I bought a Behringer) that offers easier switches between sounds on stage. I like graphic EQ's all right, but when you're trying to dial in that perfect midrange sound, it's nice to have a sweepable frequency rather than discrete sliders. Of course, 31 bands -- what's that, 1/3 octave spacing -- will get you pretty close...

The cool trick with the 5-band parametrics is that each of the 5 bands has an in/out switch that allows you to add it or remove it just like that, without having to re-tweak it when you want to put it back in. As you may have guessed, I do that all night, depending from song to song on the guitarist's tone, how loud the song is, and whether I'm playing fretted or fretless.

If you're going to set it and forget it, then it more quickly becomes a matter of preference and taste.

btw, the address for Harmony Central is

A "gate" is a noise gate -- it shuts off the signal if you're not playing anything, to silence the hum and hiss from all of your other stuff. As soon as you hit a note, the gate opens and lets your signal through, complete with the hum and hiss -- but it's assumed that the actual note you're playing is sufficiently louder than the noise that it won't matter.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Now there's a vague (and incorrect) explanation for you.

A compressor does two things: make quiet notes louder, and loud notes quiet. It compresses the dynamic range of what's put into it. Most are adjustable as to how much they do so, how quickly they act (as it takes time to find out that yes, this note is loud), and then how long the compression stays in effect after the note peaks.

A limiter is essentially the top half of this: you set a limit level, and any signal that comes in above that level gets limited (smoothly or harshly depending on the unit/settings).

Compression is an essential part of creating a sound that fits in with other instruments, be it live or in the studio. Most bass heads/preamps have a degree of built-in compression; by definition, overdrive and distortion are forms of compression. So, when running a tube amp in the overdrive zone, your signal is getting quite compressed (this is one of the reasons people think tube amps are more powerful given the same rating than SS ones - the average volume goes up in this case).

Limiting has more specific applications, as jitsoa33 mentioned, keeping spikes from overdriving the next piece in the signal chain, or built-in to an amp, keeping the output from clipping.
  7. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    In my humble opinion, 31 band EQ's work VERY well in one application---tuning monitors using a noise generator so as to achieve maximum room response. They do another thing PRETTY well. They drive bass players who try to use them as "tone controls" totally insane. :eek:

8. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    This is what most bass 'compressors' do, so they are actually limiters. You don't want the compressor to boost all the silent sounds like hiss, finger noise etc, right? Many built in compressors in bass amps are really idiot-proof things as you can only tweak the ratio of the limiter.
  9. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Good luck finding all that stuff in Oahu dude.

10. So i shouldn't get it then?
  11. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yo Garrett,

I have only one rule that I live by in these forums........."Don't make ANY decisions based on another person's OPINION". :^>) It's nice to gather information.........but the final decision rests on your shoulders.

If it were MY choice, I'd put the money into SIMPLIFYING your task.......not making it harder. HOWEVER, that's just MY opinion. ;)