Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ooo, if i played the doghouse...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by john turner, Sep 3, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  2. Looks pretty sweet, though I don't know much about upright. Also, I wouldn't be comfortable with a $14,000+ instrument in my possession- I live in a dorm, and it's not like you could or would want to gig with that kind of thing in the college setting.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    While they post their new acquisitions on ebay all the time, I've never ever seen Kolstein sell a bass on ebay, probably for good reason. Anyone serious enough to spill $14,000+ isn't stupid enough to buy sight unseen.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably not. still, though that's a beautiful instrument. enough to move me to interesting flights of fancy, i must say. :)

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My $14K bass split open today! :D No, really, the back of our Lakeberg and Baer split right off the sides! Off the the violin shop!

6. Sorry to hear that, but at least the AF is footing the Bill, Right?

7. I'm sure that instrument is worth several times more than the $14,000 opening amount. It's possibly worth in excess of $50,000 or more.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey rob! haven't seen you around in a little while. how's it going eh? :)

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Of course, it's their bass!

10. Bidding closed with no bids received.

Pardon me if I don't share the enthusiasm for this bass. It should be listed as half a Maria del Busetto bass. Enlarge the rear view photo and you'll see how misshaped it is, with one upper corner higher than the other, and one busetto corner lower than the other. The way to buy this bass is the way to buy any bass, i.e., how much is the sound worth to you? Anyone who buys this to have an old Italian bass is deceiving himself.

11. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    PACMAN:

Just noticed the AF uniform in your pic. I saw the AF performance jazz band about 4 years ago at Escondido Performing Arts Center in Southern Cal. Bass and drums were great. I remember the drummer played more cymbals than anyone I've seen before, and the bass player switched between EB and DB. I chatted with the bass player afterwards. Could that be you?

I was at the height of my search for a double bass at the time, so it was memorable.

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Negative, Rob. I was in the Army 4 years ago :eek: and I've never been in Cali with the Air Force. The band you saw more than likely was out of Travis AFB, near the bay area.

But hey, if I get out that way... I'll be sure and say "hi".