Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oooh, I hate Gateway

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 15, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Last year I thought I was getting a good deal on a Gateway computer. Man, it's been nothing but trouble since the day I got it.

First the hard drive just stopped working. The guys at Gateway said "Sorry about that, we'll send you a new one". Fine, it was covered under warranty, good. What sucked however, is I lost ALL of my data, without the chance to back up. This includes all of my Cakewalk files and songs, which were the product of long hours and hard work. Granted, I should have backed up, but hard drives should NOT just "stop working".

Next, the power supply goes. Fine. Whatever. It takes them three freaking weeks, but I get a new power supply.

Now, just after my warranty expired, my video card goes. The display on my computer goes all funky, and there are other problems. No big deal, I figure, a new video card or whatever, and I'm good to go. But NO... Gateway's video cards are integrated into the motherboard! I need a whole new freakin' motherboard!!!

I took it in last Tuesday, and told them what was wrong. They said, fine, 2 to 3 days. I figured this was pretty good. TODAY I called them to find out that they haven't even ordered the part yet, and it will be another week or two before I get it back. To the tune of $186. Unfeakin believable.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    even if it's integrated into the motherboard, there has to be a way in the BIOS or jumpers to disable onboard video. there are even some nice 3d video cards available for PCI for CHEAP. a 32 meg one in tiger direct for 40 bucks i think.

get your computer back, you're wasting your money.

3. I'm a big fan of build-your-own for reasons like that. At least if something screws up, I know I don't have proprietary hardware problems to deal with.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. That's why I build 'em myself.

5. Yup, build them yourself. You can get all the parts you need here. Pricewatch

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Get a PCI video card, disable the onboard in windows system settings. Much cheaper. Don't buy a pos mobo for damn near 200$, that's nuts!

7. i have a gateway. and it has been wonderful. i have had it for 3 years now. our only problem was the mouse. hate that thing. we bought a new one. other than that our pc has been great. sorry to hear what happened to you though. :)

8. I concur. :)

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

OTOH, if you get a mac it's ALL proprietary hardware :D

10. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Lesson learned... NEVER buy a computer with an integrated video card. My mom's old computer was like that. My Gateway had a seperate card, and my computer has worked wonderfully since I got it last year. Zero problems at all.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was actually thinking that my next computer would be a Mac. I don't understand what the big deal is about them. Of course, I don't know a whole bunch about computers in general. (I bought the Gateway, didn't I? ;)) Most recording that I have seen is done on Macs, and all of the computers in the Sound Department at my school are Macs. They seem pretty easy to use, and since I don't WANT to build one, or play hardcore games, it seems like getting a Mac would just be easier.

Are Macs more stable than PCs? Is all the proprietary hardware REALLY a problem? Am I asking for too much information in one post? Does anyone here actually USE a Mac? Remember playing King's Quest I on an Apple using a 5" floppy that really WAS floppy? Good times.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Macs are not more stable than PCs. I´ve worked as tech support for both platforms.

The main thing is what do you want to do with your mac?
    If you are intending to use it for video/audio than Macs are pretty much the default. Just save your work often. I don´t know how MacOS X(10) has been performing, but every other MacOS up until that one has had bad memory problems, which results in crashes when you least want it to.

A good PC with W2K is helluva more stable than a Mac can ever wish to be.

13. Ive been building my own computers sense 1995 and have done so ever sense. But not everyone knows what BIOS is, or what the registery is. So i reccomend you go to somewhere like www.tigerdirect.com and call and speak with a representitive and find out 1.) what you need, 2.) what its going to cost, 3.) Ask atleast 2 people who know what there talking about wether or not its a good deal. On the other hand if you want service "Build it your self" computers dont have service so you gota know what your doing. Ive worked with Dell and Toshiba and there service is exceptional. (dont buy computers from raido shack, they rip you off trust me. Price/service/reliability all sucks wind) Leme know if theres anything else i can help you with ive been doing this sense i was in gradeschool :D