Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OOOHHHH YEEESSSSS, new rig! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jun 14, 2002.

1. ok guys......i'v just gotten back from the Bass Centre (wapping, london)...well actually i went on thursday. I came back with a lovely new rig.
    An Ampeg B-2R, an Ampeg 15E and an Ampeg 210HE, unfortuantly they didn't have the 210 in, so i'v got it coming to my door soon, and cos i'v got a couple of gigs coming up, the nice people at TBC lent me an Ashdown 210 until they deliver mine...nice huh
    i'll include som pics wen i get the 210 to complete the setup, gonna go play now...hehe gotta love new gear

*Si*

2. Nice, gotta love the Ampeg! There is nothing quite like it, and probably never!

3. yeah, its certainly a characteristic sound, and i love it! :)
    i have a couple of questions about series and parallel etc (this is my first 'stack', been a combo player b4 this)
    am i right in thinkng that to wire the rig in parallel, u have one cable from the amp to the first cab, then from that cab to the 2nd cab, and this devides the amp's wattage between the cabs?
    and putting them in series would be wiring both cabs into the amp (i don't think mine can do that, only one speaker output)
    i'm learning here :)

whats the pro's/con's of series and parallel?

cheers

*Si*

4. nah they are both paralell...it is better if your amp has 2 speaker outputs to go from the amp to each seperate speaker box, as then there isn't the full current going through the first speaker lead between the head and the first box.

5. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    its a B-2R? all the b-2rs ive ever seen have two 1/4" speaker outputs...plug your 210 into one speaker out, and plug your 15 into the other, and everything will work fine, provided both of your cabs are 8 ohms.

6. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    congratulations on the purchase! How much did you pay for the whole thing?

7. ok, so now i'm a bit worried! :)
    my B-2R only has one speaker out socket, the one next to it has a kinda cover on it (so i assume it has the ability to have two sockets) but i'v been told that i should run one cable from the amp to the 210 then another cable frm the 210 to the 115, therefore deviding the wattage, surely if i run each cab directly from the amp, i'm sendinf 350 watts to each cab, and their power handling isn't that high.
    cheers

*Si*

8. No, if both cabs are 8 ohms the amp will recognize that and split the 350 watts. Otherwise you'd have a 700 watt amp (into 4 ohms). Bust out the manual and you'll be in good shape.

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    You're correct in your description of series and parallel. Series is running a cable from one output of your amp to one cab, and another cable from the other output of the amp to the other cab. Parallel IS running one cable from your head to your cab, then from the cab to the other cab.

If both of your cabs are 8 ohms, then you'll need to make sure your amp is set to 4 ohms. At that point, running either series or parallel will be fine, but make sure that if you disconnect one cab that you set the impedence to 8 ohms.

I tried to look on the Ampeg website to take a gander at a B2R, but my Acro-Reader wasn't working so I couldn't. I would assume that it probably DOES have 2 outputs, so double check that "little cover" you were talking about and make sure there's nothing hidden behind it. If there really is only 1 output, just run in parallel and it'll be fine.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    No hunter585, you're wrong. Both of those hook the speakers up (electrically) in parallel. This means that in either case two 8 ohm cabs results in a 4 ohm load to the amplifier.

For clarity's sake, I'd refer to the first thing you list above as "daisy-chaining".

11. thanks guys
    i think i'v sorted it now, i e-mailed ampeg and they said its ok how i was wiring it (daisy-chaining), and loadsa other people said thats fine, so i'm ok with that
    cheers people

*Si*