Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oooo, funk trio with bass/sax/drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, a drummer buddy of mine and I wanted to start a funk band but have been scouring our respective minds for guitarists with the heart (and skill) for funk, and during the interim, I asked a friend of ours who plays sax if she'd want to be in the band. It was a no go, but tonight another friend of mine who plays sax in the school concert and jazz bands (and bass guitar as a hobby) asked me if we were still up for it! So now we've got a sax-bass-drum trio, ready to start cranking some tunes.

The point besides expressing my happiness that we might actually be starting this was to ask for general instrumental covers that we could adapt to fit around a sax, or something played by a band with a similar roster to ours. We'll probably end up doing almost all originals, but I figured I'd just ask first.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Check out stuff by Candy Dulfer..might find a few numbers you could do. Quite funky, and mostly instrumental, not too tough to play.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Spaceways, Inc...now!
    They have 2 albums; their first disc had interpretations of tunes by James Brown, P-Funk, & Sun Ra.
    The line-up is:
    Ken Vandermark-sax
    Joe McBride-basses
    Hamid Drake-drums

Actually, all 3 may be 'best known' as part of Chicago's Free Jazz scene...

4. Listen to Morphine. Probably the most famous bass-sax-drums trio. They have vocals too though. Some of their stuff is fairly funky. You may wish to funk it up further, to suit your tastes.

Small bands with no chordal instruments are obviously rare. In Morphine, the bass player does play a lot of double stops, and sometimes even guitar.