Oooo, the absolute ARROGANCE...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Aug 15, 2002.

1. No, this isn't about any of you guys.

Today, at work, this lady walked in. She was getting on in years, I would say about 65-70. She walks in, makes a VERY small circuit of the store (meaning she never got more than about 30 feet away from the front door) then walked back over to me. She looked down her nose at me (which was pretty funny thing to see, as she is about a foot shorter than I) and had the unmitigated gall to say, "You don't sell any instruments here, do you? Just guitars." With is voice of haughtiness.

It took a LOT to keep from telling her to **** off. But I didn't I just calmly told her, "No, we only have guitars, basses, drums and keyboards here. What exactly are you looking for?" At which point she mumbled something about Orchestral Instruments and walked out the door.

I REALLY think she was trying to get me to blow up at her. She had this look in her eye of, "C'mon, I DARE you." I'm glad I didn't rise up to it, but my boss was standing about 20 feet away and getting fired is NOT on the top of my list.:D

Anyone else run into this kind of arrogance before? If it's not part of a Symphony than it's not real music?

Rock on
  2. as cliff yablonski says, if it doesn't have a brass section or one of those huge f'ing drums you hit with a mallet, it ain't music.
  3. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    what a bitch (can I say bitch?)
  4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Once upon a time I think I heard someone mention something like that....but I think they were just joking around. Eh...diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
  5. Well now, let's look at this's a GUITAR CENTER. Sheesh, some people never cease to amaze me.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Just call them the ultimate cover band. We know it's meaningless, they know it's ridiculous, but they get REALLY mad!
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Genius. Pure genius.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Doesn't bother me. I get a mirade of stupid people in the various jobs I've held. I just pretend to be as dense as they are. They don't feel stupid, and I appear helpful.
  9. I bow to your superior insulting intelect.

Rock on
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I doubt it was arrogance. More than likely, in her day, a music shop carried band instruments such as brass, woodwinds, etc. Sounds like your store doesn't.

What's the big deal?
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Haha, this reminds me of a commercial I once saw in one of those "The funniest commercials"-type shows:

70s-style music store with lots of long-haired guys.
    A little man with umbrella and coat over his arm walks in and goes straight towards the counter where half a dozen saxophones are lined up on the front.
    He opens his zipper and pees in one of the saxophones.
    After putting some coins on the counter, he walks out again.

I forgot what the commercial was for, but it was hilarious. :D
  12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I've run into her type before! :D:D
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

And stores that carry your woodwinds, brass, etc. are becoming harder and harder to come by. They're always much much smaller in size and selection too. So it looks like they're the ones not getting respect, not the "rockers."
  14. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Wonder what my mother in law was doing in your shop....:confused:
  15. She wouldn't have got away with it with me...I wouldn't shout or anything but I'd politely explain that guitars ARE instruments and would she like to have a go on one.

I'm usually polite even to rude customers but I work with loads of girls and I'm the only guy most of the time and the only thing I absolutely won't tolerate is a customer shouting at one of the girls. A few of them get upset easily and they're really nice girls so I just won't take people upsetting them.
  16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    -That may be so, but you should still treat a salesperson with the basic respect any human gets (until they open their mouth at least) even if they don't carry the items your looking for.
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Have you ever thought of going into apprentice training as a "Smug Bastard". I see a lot of potential in you. :D ;)
  18. hey. no using words that don't exist. ;)
  19. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I would have given her directions to the nearest antique shop.
  20. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't exubiate him for having a crondoginent mind.