Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ooooo Aaaaa... new BNF5 + 2 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WovenGraphite, Dec 15, 2005.

1. All right, I was in search of a very good fretless 5 with ebony fingerboard. Not used to buy without trying stuff, I dared to shell the bucks and buy a new F Bass BNF5 (exactly the same as that one) from Bass Central.
    It arrived 3 days ago. Needless to say that I have been very busy exploring this bass :D

Oh man oh man... it not only looks good (and smells good ;)) but also feels good :eek:
    The first thing that shocked me was how light it is!

Unplugged, it balances perfectly with or without strap, the setup is perfect as well. The action is low and the neck+fingerboard is a joy to use. The strings are nice too, the B is VERY tight.
    Question #1: it is setup with roundwounds (La Bella Super Steps custom gage), would anyone comment on flats for that babe?

Plugged, great sound but I need to get used to all the controls. Question #2: what is the passive tone control for, when active EQ is on (down)?

So anyway, I am glad I jumped on that bass (good deal actually and eventhough it is the first time I buy from Bass Central, communication and shipping/packging was perfect).

I now do understand the whole fuss about F Basses :hyper:
    Doesn't help gas though... :rollno: :p

2. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hey, congratulations on your new BNF5.
    I have the same color made in year 2000 without the preamp.
    Great fretless growl.

1) if you use flatwounds, you will not get that growl much and it will sound a "little" more like an upright. If you play on the ebony fretboard near the 24-28 fret, you get a warmer sound too like and upright.

2) the passive tone control if im not wrong works still even if active switch is turn on. it bassically acts like a low-pass filter cutting off the highs at which ever frequency you dial in on that knob.

Enjoy!!!

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Congrats!!! Welcome to the club, Bass Central must be moving some F Basses, I just got mine a week ago. A trans blue BN5. I love it. The guys at Bass Central will get more of my business, the price was good and everything went smooth, and being here in Oklahoma, I don't have a high end dealer anywhere near me.
    And yeah I also know what all the hoopla w/ F Bass is all about. They are awsome. :D