Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Feb 1, 2003.

1. I played a 1966 Fender Mustang today which was quite simply the best sounding electric guitar I have ever played in my life.

Yup, a Mustang. Not your field leader.

Resonant, fresh, fruity, clear and open sound. Sooooo expressive I could say almost anything I wanted. Almost had me wanting to take up the 6 string electric again.

The neck was uncomfortable. The body too small, the appointments stained, discoloured and falling to bits. But a sound like none other.

It is a strange world.
  2. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    When I began reading your post I was thinking about my buddies mustang, and how I would concur with you, but for the playability of the thing. Having finished your post, I am in complete agreement. It feels like playing a toy.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    One of my best friends, and the guy that really got me started all those years ago (we will NOT discuss a number here... :p) owned two slightly modified Fender Mustang guitars (upgraded to DiMarzio pickups). Amazing sounding guitars, and I actually kinda dug the way they played and sounded.

He's still got one, I go jam with him (he lives in Daytona, about 45 min from me now) from time to time, and I always make him pull that one out for a while, just so I can reminesce....

4. Yes. But as I get older, I find sound becoming more important and playability less....maybe I am finally getting better!
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one of my favorite guitars is the fender jaguar, i think it sounds kinda like the mustang but it's a little bigger. i played a 69 jaguar once. holy poop!
  6. I A/Bed the thing with a 2000 model American series Tele. The Tele played better, with a MUCH nicer neck. But in sound the Mustang outclassed it by at least a factor of ten.

Vintage vibe?
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Even though its Gu*itar related and it should be kept in the armpit of TB over in OT. I think it would be much better suited to be in Misc. So I'll let Embellisher and Blackbird look at it!! :) ;)

Just kidding I play a little gu*itar to and Ive never played one of these. A friend has played one for me and I really dug its tone. It was thru a Fender twin reverb reissue and it really sang!!!
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    After playing bass all tht time, they do feel a bit small, but I dig the tiny bit of flop in the strings that give it that really cool feel
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I dig the Mustangs, in fact, I'm considering buying a '69, but I much prefer my Musicmaster. I'll be buying the Mustang as a little more versatile match to my Musicmaster. They're both Dakota Red '69 models with pearloid pickguards. The Musicmaster is the same body and neck and all, but just has the one pickup at the neck. I'm wierd...I like my basses with a 34" scale, but prefer short-scale guitars.
  10. Nothing weird about main acoustic is a 000-1 ...short scale Martin. My main (OK, now only!) bass is a 35.4" scale homemade job...
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My high-school punk band was inspired by the Hickoids, who wrangled some scary tones out of Mustangs, so I guess it was inevitable that we'd go w/ that model for both guitar and bass.
    Of course, back then I was banging the skins...but everytime the guys would take a smoke break I'd stay inside, chug a Yoohoo, and play their guitars.
    Mustangs good!
  12. My friend has an old old old mustang bass, and I love that thing, and after playing on my 35" neck and then going to that short mustang neck is like standing infront of a freezer on a 100 degree day. I love the tone, they are so awesome. I want one!!!