Ooooooh no, GATSO camera caught me speeding......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Last night, on my way home from a gig, driving through Edinburgh, I was doing ~46mph in a 40 zone, and a Gasto flashed me. :(

That's three penalty points, yeah?

But, I've not even sent away from my full licence yet! (passed a few months ago now, I don't know why I've not sent for it:oops:)
    But, it was nearly one am, the road open, clear, clean, deserted, my car is in near-perfect nick, I was wide awake and free of anything that might impair me (I have a witness to this), so I *think* it was quite safe for me to be doing what I was doing.:confused:

I know all about the consequences of speeding, hitting things, and so on - but there was only me, on this deserted road!

Basically, what's gonna happen? Is there any way I might be able to avoid getting those points?:(

Please let my licence not be suspended or something like that, I cannot live without the car (no really, I live in the country, with just about no bus service, and I've got loads of gigs, even some that I'm playing, coming up).

I just need to tell my mum..... it's her car, so when the letter from the Police arrive, it's gonna have her name on it
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I shouldn't worry too much - I have been "flashed" at least 5 or 6 times and have never got a ticket! :)

There are many reasons - no film, no admin time to process all those misdemeanours etc etc.

Quite often they are just there as a deterrent, to slow traffic - nothing will necessarily happen - but obviously you could be unlucky, but you won't be banned anyway and probably the worst is a fine.

But if you are relying on your car, then I think you need to make sure you are within the speed limits or you could start to rack up offenses and lose your licence - it's always best to get into good habits even if you get away with it a few times!
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I heard of someone once (friend of a friend, but I do the know person in question and it fits) who was very cynical about speed cameras. Even when they were installed, on a stretch of the A20, he still insisted on whizzing along and laughed about the fact that nothing happened.... and then two weeks later, he started getting the notices through his door. Bang - there went his licence. :eek:

Now I've scared you, I'll say that Bruce is right and you probably won't get anything. However, it would be safest to confess to you Mum anyway, in case it does come through. You've just got to get used to driving at lower speeds - personally, I'd far rather have cameras and own the responsibility of driving within the limit than speed humps, which are a real pain in a small car. Unfortunately, Lewisham council prefers speed humps :meh:

I wouldn't bother trying to justify your speed, especially if it was clearly indicated that it was a 40mph zone (I'd like every lamp post to carry a reminder - it's easy to miss a single sign) - at best, they'll laugh, and at worst you'll provoke some petty official into vindictiveness.

Hope nothing comes of it, but remember to learn the lesson, even if you get it for free!

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    People don't find and destroy those cameras? Odd.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually, it's quite funny - I remember seeing a TV programme where the Police did actually catch somebody attempting to destroy these cameras and they used the footage gathered frometh cameras to convict and prosecute the person! Although the Police said that they often don't have enough time and staff to prosecute for speeding - but for "criminal damage" it was worth it!! :D
  6. I remember reading a while back that down in England somewhere, one of these cameras had been blown up by people who were just so annoyed at it!!

/on topic

I've spoken to a few people round here at college and they say that there's a few along that road that catch loads of people. That does mean though, that if it's a film camera then odds on it had no film in it. However, there's quite a few cameras around here that are these new digital ones, with the hard drive.

Also, quite a few have said that, doing 46 in a 40 zone at 1am, I should get off with it.

I guess I'm just gonna have to wait a couple of weeks and find out. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
  7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That is funny. Out here we'd have hippies dressed up as tye-dyed ninja's smashing them with didgeree doos and bongos.

Good luck Parrot!
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Guess we are more advanced here. First, they used paintball guns, until police got new lens covers which prevented the paint from sticking to them. Then they switched to hunting rifles and cure for that yet.
  9. Pretty much as Bruce called it - I've been flashed only once! Nothing ever came of it.

One thing to think about is how many flashes did you get, I'm led to believe a single flash won't normally mean anything. 2 flashes and you could be in trouble.

The reason for this is that the second flash occurs a known time after the first, they then compare part of your car to a fixed reference point. They then measure the difference in the second picture and calculate your speed from that.I could be way off on this of course. If you haven't heard from them in 6 months forget it!
  10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Nope, I'd imagine that would do it.
  11. Yeah, that's what I've been led to believe. And I'm pretty sure I got two. I'm certainly assuming I did, it's safer so I don't have any belief that I've gotten away with it (ha!)

Anyway, another question I've been meaning to ask;

Assuming I do end up with points on my license, do they get removed after a period of time? I'm asking because I've seen a few threads where the points got removed after so long in certain states, but not others (I'm not sure) - does that happen over here?

Heh, that's pretty cool. Not that I agree with such behaviour or anything.:cool::rolleyes:

12. If memory serves it's 3 or 4 years that the points stay on your license. I don't know, mine has been clean for 15 years! But I do know people who have had points!

Also, didn't they make a change for learbers, and/or people who have recently passed their test??? I seem to remember something about the first 2 years after you pass being less lenient on you - I think it meant that you would only be able to accumulate 6 points before they looked at disqualification!

Hope you got away with it this time - but have learned your lesson! Drive carefully now!:)
  13. Yeah, that's probably the main thing I'm worried about.... I've not even sent away for my full licence yet!!

(Yeah, I've had it since May last year. I really don't know why I've not sent it away yet. I'm going to now though)
  14. Over here in Nothern Ireland you get disqualified if you rack up 6 points in the first year. But we've always done it a bit differently from the mainland, so that might not be anything to worry about.
  15. 46 in a 40? That's not speeding. Maybe a little fast, but it's not speeding. Here speeding in a 40 zone in anythiing over 50.

Rock on
  16. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, it's similar around here. There are some cameras but I think they act only in case of severe speeding. Usually the cops don't bother to stop you even if they are tailing you if you do just few miles over the limit.

Actually, now that I think of it, technically speaking everyone "speeds" around here. Many times I find myself thinking "what's the limit around here.. oh, those other guys are doing 70, so it must be 60." :p
  17. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Speeding cameras? No such a thing in the U.S., I think. There are red light cameras, though.

Easiest deterent I could think of is getting those license plate covers that make taking a picture of your plate impossible yet make the plate perfectly visible when the viewer is directly behind it, like while driving. Otherwise, the license plate is blurred in the picture the gov't sees, and they throw it out.
  18. Things are a little stricter over here. I *think* it's 10% over and the cameras go off, but I'm not sure.

I think that's what the patrol cars do over here; they only chase if you're really going over the limit. The cameras aren't so nice though.

Surely if you get caught with something like that on your numberplate, you're in real big trouble, yeah? Or is the idea that you can't see if it's there or not?
  19. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Well it's illegal in some states in the US, but if its illegal over there, they also make products you can spray on that do the same thing, yet they need reapplying every few weeks or something.
  20. are you stupid? it's spelled "bongs". geez!