Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OOps! Bought the wrong Sansamp! (acoustic di)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MuzikMan, Aug 1, 2004.

1. I just made a Buy It Now purchase on a Sansamp Acoustic DI. I THOUGHT it was the BDDI (DOH!). When I discovered my mistake I decided to check up on these things to see what's up.

I will be using a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe with EMG P/J pups.
    I play classic and modern rock. I like a grindy tight bottom end and a mid strong top end, kind of like classic fingerstyle funk.

From what I can tell I would like the Acoustic DI better because of the semi parametric mid control it has. I'm not interested in bass distortion, but I wouldn't mind if I could get close to breaking up if you know what I mean.

I have two major concerns. The input impedance of the Acoustic DI is higher than the BDDI. I don't know what this means.

I also don't know if the Acoustic DI is capable of producing the low end of an electric bass. I suspect it is, but I don't know.

Has anyone used one of these for bass? What are your impressions?

I'm hoping that my stupidity has a purpose. :D

2. I haven't paid for it yet so I was thinking of begging the guy to call the deal off if I can establish that it won't work for me. I don't want to if I don't need to.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, it'll work. And having the mids is more useful to me than having the drive. I have the regular BDDI, our singer has the acoustic one for her (can you guess?) acoustic.

I borrowed it from her, and actually preferred it cos of the mids. What they mean about the signal is that in my experience it's easy to overload the pedal with a hot active bass. You can use it, don't worry.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used an Acoustic DI with my NS Electric Upright Bass. I prefer its voicing to the BDDI, its mid control is MUCH more valuable than the drive control, UNLESS you are getting the unit primarily to get some grind. If you are getting it for tone, the Acoustic DI is the way to go, IMO. If you want distortion, get the BDDI.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I own both, and I like the Acoustic DI a little better for its semi-parametric mid control. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'd say go ahead and get it.

6. Thanks guys. I did more research and modified my search here and got a lot of reasons to believe I made a good mistake.

7. I received my Acoustic DI and I have to say I love what it's doing for my tone. The mid control is awesome. I don't miss the drive control of the BDDI at all. The biggest shortcommings of my tone have been eliminated with the Acoustic DI. My Jazz Deluxe has the EMG P/J set which sounds nice and clean but brittle. Not any more. The blend control of the ADI does a great job warming up my bass.

Did I mention the mid control? I'm getting a great grinding cut with a slight boost at around 800hz. Can't wait to tweek some more!