Oops. I'm a G&L Owner... by accident

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hardtop, Aug 12, 2018.

1. hardtop

hardtop Supporting Member

Well, not exactly. I made an offer on a bass that I wasn't expecting the seller to take... but, of course, he did. So now I have an 83 G&L SB-1 on its way to me.
    Ive never owned one, always wanted to, and I guess the price was right for bass that Im told is in good original condition. However, this bass is not very attractive... I don't care for the blue at all. These early basses, that lacked pickguards, have always looked strangely incomplete to me. I'm already thinking about a refinish and adding (making) a pickguard. I did a little research and I believe pre '85 G&L's had a nitro finish? It seems like a shame to strip a finish that is fairly desirable, but, you know, I'm at least entertaining it. My question is, is it harder to strip lacquer than a poly finish? I've used a heat gun and putty knife to strip basses in the past, but they were poly coatings. Also, on the off chance I keep it blue, does anyone have suggestions for a pickguard color that will work with this shade? Im not much of a fan of white, but have seen pearloid white on colored basses that look pretty cool. Maybe just black? Anyway, opinions and suggestions welcome.
    BB1.jpg BB2.jpg BB3.jpg

PWRL, dan1952, mikeyjm2 and 10 others like this.
  2. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Do as you like of course, but I’ll chime in that that thing looks amazing as is. Awesome score

3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    ^ this

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You should have bid lower, then...

... really don't understand this... Lucy, you have some 'splainin' to do...

soulman969, TinIndian and ituobrey like this.
  5. hardtop

hardtop Supporting Member

I guess maybe the price I paid was low enough that I could justify refinishing it? and/or I could live with the blue for that price? yeah, like I said, or at least meant to say, it was not my finest hour. Definitely an impulse thing related to the fact I had just missed one locally and I was obsessing about the SB-1 for awhile.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Those are nice basses man. I say leave it alone and play it

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    An antique white/cream pickguard would look good, especially with the maple neck...

8. I’m gunna be that guy and say a nice ‘tort will sort ‘er right out. :thumbsup:

I always find basses with a control cover but no PG look a bit off.

This thread isn’t helping my G&L GAS.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. MG Wolf

MG Wolf Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    If that's the original finish I would shine on til tomorrow, let it be. :cool:

Congrats on your first G&L. :thumbsup:

10. If youre not loving it...Id say flip it and get something you want or trade it for something you want..Nice score though!

bungletrpg, ppiluk and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Great basses. At least live with it a while first to make sure it’s what you want before you strip it and harm resale. If I was in the market, that cool blue would be a big plus. I love my ‘83 SB-2.

mellowgerman and Clutchcargo like this.
  12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Hack up a classic vintage G&L bass in rare original finish? Count me in!

NG51, StuStu, funkinbottom and 3 others like this.
  13. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    that bass is old enough to where leo himself may have had his hands on it. I wouldn't change a thing about it. think you're going to be surprised at the output of that pickup.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  14. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Really nice-looking bass as-is... I say leave it and go no-contact on this thread before the tort crew sinks its fangs into ya...

Rodger Bryan and aaronious like this.
  15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats! :bassist:

16. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    That's one tasty mistake! Please leave it as is

Rodger Bryan likes this.
  17. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    Don't do anything to that classic other than playing, setup and restringing..... NO!

Rodger Bryan likes this.
  18. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I’m generally not a fan of bright colored Basses, but that’s dark enough that I think it looks pretty bad ass on its own.

If anything, I’d say try a pickguard if you find you can’t deal w/ the blue - a dark guard could be just the ticket to muting the color a bit, plus it’s more reversible than a complete strip & refinish.

Either way, congrats on a beautiful score!! Hopefully the sound will make you forget all about the color!

19. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    The finish is original, its name is Bahama Blue. This bass is a beauty, I had seen it on Reverb. I would neither change the color, nor add a pickguard.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    JIO, TinIndian, drummer5359 and 4 others like this.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think you have an opportunity here.

Now, I'm all for making a bass "yours". I'm NOT one if those "Leo might have touched it so you better not mess with it" guys.

But I am a capitalist.

If you got this one for a steal, either flip it and buy one in a color you like, or put it up for trade for one in a color you like.

You now own what many consider a piece of history. That can play to your advantage.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021