Oops.....NBD.....Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newwavefrank, Sep 3, 2020.

1. I really need to stay off of Ebay... I occasionally will place bids on stuff that is ending soon and undervalued. Usually things right themselves in the last minute and my lowball bid is for naught. Occasionally, however, i end up being the proud new owner of something like this. Just got this 2019 matt black Ric. One previous owner but he must have never played it. I added the thumb rest, but not sure I like where it sits. It might come off. I will probably remove the bridge pickup cover once I know I am going to keep it. I've had a love/hate thing with Rics for years. Love the look and sound, but the few I've tried in stores didn't do it for me. This one is better so far. I have gigs coming up in a couple of weeks, so once I've had ric 1.jpg ric 2.jpg it out live I'll know if it's a keeper. At this point I'm betting it will stay, But I want to be sure before I start putting new strings etc. The last bass I "accidently" bought (Steinberger XL2 purchased in Dec 2019) has become my main gigging bass since, so we will see how this one does.

Moedailey, Giffro, Tari and 56 others like this.
  2. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Nice! And it appears to have the new bridge too.

As for the pickup cover, it's pretty easy to remove and put back on later if you decide to sell. I'd suggest taking it off because plucking over the bridge pickup has a similar effect to doing that on other basses. I plucked over it almost exclusively back when I played 4003's and it gives a clearer note with less rattle if you want it.

I gigged for a number of years with a 4001 and 4003s and I agree it's not the most ergonomic bass ever made. On the strap it can be a pain because it does have a moderate amount of neck dive. Also the upper horn comes up a long ways, so it can dig into your chest before you can get the neck up into a comfortable position.

I never found a workaround other than playing it seated most of the time.

But it's a classic and definitely give it a good workout before you decide either way..

L

3. Nice bass, I've been a Ric player for 43 years, just stick with it, it will be second nature in a while.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That happened to me once.

And the bass didn't leave my hands for about a year.

Its one of the very few basses I will NEVER let go of.

Congrats!

Though you may have completely different desires than me... my suggestion is to NOT (at least at first) use it going for the classic "Ric sound." I believe that's with the switch pulled out, all treble, bla, bla, bla... I used mine for its thick, full, rich sound. That bass is far more versatile than I originally ever thought it to be. Gonna go grab mine right now as I haven't played it in a while, thanks....

5. Though you may have completely different desires than me... my suggestion is to NOT (at least at first) use it going for the classic "Ric sound." I believe that's with the switch pulled out, all treble, bla, bla, bla... I used mine for its thick, full, rich sound. That bass is far more versatile than I originally ever thought it to be. Gonna go grab mine right now as I haven't played it in a while, thanks....[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah that Vintage tone or whatever it is seems pretty useless to me...

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You can still return it and get a Fender and everything will be okay.

7. If I return it it would be because I found a Modulus VJ or something along those lines. I have 2 Stingrays and that's probably as close to a Fender as I will ever get. Unless I get a G & L.....

JRA and Gorn like this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had that Modulus for a little while. A friend of mine bought it and was clueless about setups so he had me do it. I didn't wanna give it back. I was gonna set up a payment plan with him. It didn't end up happening, but I loved that bass while I had it.

newwavefrank likes this.
  9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I've played some Ricks that had really thick and chunky necks, which didn't sit right with me. Mostly the more modern ones, though I know the necks can change from year to year. But my main player, and the most comfortable bass I've ever had the chance to play, is my old 4003. Never understood the ergonomic issues people have with them. And maybe I'm lucky, because this one balances perfectly on a strap.

Hope this one works out better than your previous ones, and enjoy! Nothing quite like it

newwavefrank and bobyoung53 like this.

10. I've owned many of them and never had any balancing problems, no neck dive.

CrawlingCarpet likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Love it. Enjoy! Dress up nice, don't play that with shorts.

12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    That's what I did back around 1980. Still happy with the switch.:woot:

13. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Phoenix
    I dig the matte black. It's a sweet sweet finish on anything. Telecaster. Precision. Brian Setzer Gretsch Hot Rod. All work amazing!

14. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    It looks like the new bridge has individual height adjustment per saddle? Sweet! Does it do anything address tail lift, does anyone know?

newwavefrank likes this.
  15. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Looks great! Reminds me, I need to change the PU selector toggle on mine. Apparently that's a relatively common thing with the 4003. I have the new switch, just need to install it.

16. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Hidden under the back of the chrome tailpiece there's a separate anchor block for the strings, attached directly to the body.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  17. Blackjac97

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Excellent. Is it a drop-in replacement?

18. You definitely need to drill new holes for the hidden string anchor and I believe a few more for the tailpiece.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  19. Blackjac97

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Good to know, thanks!

Gluvhand likes this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

great looking ax! i think you did well --- even if it was an accident! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

newwavefrank likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021