Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassist286, Aug 9, 2005.

1. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    well kids i was diagnoced with tendonitus(sp) no playing for a week, docter soid it was due to over use. hmm too much playing maybe? it's in my right rist and i play right handed. :bawl:

2. with what?

:bag:

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Just give it enough time, focus on your theory now you can't practice on your instrument ;)

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I know it sounds corny but try one of those cooper/magnetic bracelets. You can find them at Golf shops. They've helped me a ton.

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, been there. I had to take a 2 week break from bass and get myself used to using the mouse with my left hand.

Look into a supplement called glucosamine sulfate. Supposed to help your tendons absorb more water.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do yourself a few favors... get a second diagnosis. A lot of doctors confuse things for CTS that aren't CTS. If you feel pain though, stop playing. He says one week, make it two, a bit of time now is worth the rest of your playing life later.

Buy the book from www.drkertz.com... best $25 I ever spent. Read it cover to cover and learn proper warmups (he's a bass playing doctor) and always be sure to keep tylenol in your gig bag (reduces swelling, therefore reducing pain caused by swelling)

Learn the RICE method.
    Rest - Be gentle, use it as little as possible. Takes time to get used to. Also, buy a splint, wear it at night to reduce movement.
    Ice - In pain? Ice it, it reduces swelling.
    Compression - My biggest line of defense. I wear a sweatband halfway up my forearm on my right hand. No, not trying to be emo, but it REALLY helps.
    Elevation - Least important IMO, but do it anyway.

Other than that, Dr. Randall Kertz' book covers it. Better nutrition, sleep, just be an overall healthy person and your wrist will catch up.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Cool :cool:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that liked that book.

8. Bring your bass to the next visit too, show him how you play. Sometimes changing positions, lower, higher, whatever can reduce strain causing the tendonitis. Its the right hand, so its the plucking hand, maybe a lower position would result in less bendage at the wrist, or maybe too much weight is on the tendons by resting your wrist on the body of the bass.

If he can see how you play, the doc'll get a better idea of what's going on.

Its doubtful its just "overuse", its probably the result of you putting abnormal strain on it somehow, making "normal use" abusive.

The trick to rehab is patience to build back up gradually, and remember the RICE mentioned above, proper warmup and stretching before and after. If it hurts AT ALL, you're overdoing it, and lengthening the recovery.

Good luck..
    Randy

9. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    thanks guys for your help

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How many posts do you have?

Seriously, I feel your pain. I have the same thing. I can't even bicep curl a 50 pounder anymore because my grip is so weak.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I got similar issues...

only mines not from playing bass... but it affects it...

My workstation at work is set-up like crap... and being tall and lanky don't help much.

so yeah.. neck.. shoulders.. arms... back.. bleh..

I can't practice outside of rehearsals because if I don't play standing up, my hands ache after a few minutes. I can't stand up after work 'cause I'm too damn tired... meh...

having it looked at.

13. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    think my typing's bad? you shoudl hear me speak. :D