OOPS!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazzmonkey, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    So I'm looking for some thoughts on a possible mess up by me of my brand new pickup. I'm gonna spare everyone and myself the embarassing details, suffice it to say it got dropped without the cover on it. The result is that i have a jazz bass pickup coil that got slightly dimpled on the bottom edge of the coil itself. I would have a pic, but I don't feel like pulling it out of the bass right now. It is really small and it looks just like the coil is "dimpled" kinda like the edge of A/C fin panel that gets slightly pushed back, slightly being the key word. It isn't severe by any means. it looks a fingertip just kinda pushed it back a little, so there is a little wave in it, more like a mini arch like the tip of a pinky fingernail, and I mean tiny!

I'm wondering if that will affect the sound of the pickup at all. I don't have a lot of experience with the sound of different pickups, so I can't just judge if there is a difference for myself. I've only owned one jazz bass and heard the stock pickups prior to putting these in. It sounds so much better than the one that was in it, but that isn't saying much.

The pickups are a nordstrand NJ4 set, and the the one that got dropped was the bridge pickup. The neck pickup sounds amazing, the bridge not as good as I expected. I think I'm getting more "growl" from the neck pup, but I'm not sure I'm clear on what growl is exactly, but isn't it supposed to come from the bridge pup more so?

The neck pup has a nice thick bouncy tone, just exactly what I was looking for. I guess that is what is referred to as "burpy"? I'm not totally wise to what these actually sound like, I know that people usually use growl and burp when talking about Fender Jazz Bass.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that I didn't really rob this pup of its awesome tone. I know that bridge pup never has as much low end as the neck by its very nature, but I'm such a rookie with tone that I don't know if I messed it up or not.

Thanks for reading,
    JM

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    As long as the pickup still works and sounds similar in volume to the neck pickup is it unlikely you did any noticeable damage, at least in terms of sound. If you put a DC resistance meter on it you should get 8.6k ohms or so.

The bridge pickup will be less bassy, more thin and pokey. Harder sounding. That's just the nature of the position.

Make sure you've got the mounting heights balanced. Holding the string down at the last fret you want about 1/8" for the bridge pickup and 3/16" for the neck pickup. This seems to work best for the basses we build here at the shop.

You could also show a more experienced player and see if they think it sounds "right". Especially if you're not that experienced yourself.

And if the coil is damaged just send us an email and we'll get you sorted as quickly as we can.

Good luck.

3. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    That does make me feel better. It works fine and still sounds good, I think I just prefer the sound of the neck pup. I think a lot of it has to do with the old busted strings I have on here not letting the pup sing like it should. I was going to do it when I had the strings off the day of the install, but forgot to pick up a set of strings prior to the event, DOH!

Thanks for the reassurance Carey. I gotta say that I am blown away by these pickups even with the old and busted strings. They have excellent gritty, bouncy slap tone!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021