OP Musicman copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewie, Mar 21, 2002.

1. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I tried an OP (Original Product - crap name) 5 string today in a shop and was very impressed with it. They are basically Chinese copies of Musicman basses. The overall feel of the instrument was very similar to a StingRay 5 though it was passive and the EQ section fairly limited. The retail price is only about £280 ($400) so I was mightily impressed by it. In fact I'm thinking about buying one as a back-up to my 'Ray 5. Has anyone else tried one of these and if so whaddya reckon?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    About the 200th thread on this subject, but I didn't think it played ANYTHING like a real ray5, the stings were terribly close, the neck profile drastically different, the frets were terrible, there were dead spots all over the neck, the list goes on.

If you really typically play a Stingray 5, I can't see how you could have possibly not noticed these things.
  3. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Apologies for the 200th thread on this subject. I am an occasional user and have not yet succumbed completely to the addiction that is Talkbass.

I accept that there are quite a number of differences between the two instruments not least of which is the neck profile. Having said that, with the right set-up I believe the OP basses do offer good value for money. It would be unfair to compare their abilities both tonally and in playability as the 'Ray5 is vastly superior overall. As I said, if I were to buy one it would be purely as a back-up instrument. I feel also that the OP basses do capture something of the 'Rays character which is no bad thing for someone on a budget. I personally could not afford to buy an additional 'Ray5 as in the UK they retail for around £1500 new. My advice is try one and then you'll know if you like 'em or not.
  4. and they're not copies.. they're just stingrays by another company.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What's the difference?
  6. These bsses are copies, but not like most copy instruments. The headstock design is liscensed to OLP (It's OLP by the way, Officially Liscenced Product) by Ernie Ball. You ever notice that on every Fender copy, except those made by Fender (ie Squier), the headstock design is always a different shape from the real thing? It's the same concept here. Ernie Ball gave permission to use the headstock shape. Body shapes (unless VERY unique) cannot be trademarked, and sounds cannot be trademarked. The headstock is the only missing link in the StingRay copy until now.

I own an OLP 4 and in my oppinion it's a great bass. Lots of people have said that the OLP's are one of, if not the best passive budjet instruments. The 4 string plays very well, and sounds very similar to a EB MM.

One interesting note- I was talking to a manager at Guitar Center and he told me that the OLP's are actually built by B.C. Rich. Unlike Squier or Epiphone, the OLP's are liscenced but not built or owned by Ernie Ball.
  7. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
  8. Who knows--that's just what the guy told me. It could be that they are built in the same factory as some Chinese-made BC Rich guitars. A lot of manufacturers contract with a factory and send their specs and parts lists so it's possible that they are in the same factory.
  9. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Awww....i hope my bass isnt even associated with b. c. rich. ugh
    Mine plays and sounds fine to me.
    Thats all that matters, cause i can get the funds to get a EB just yet.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was being facetious.

BTW: Squires are not licensed by Fender: the company is owned by Fender.

OLP, OTOH, is its own company who pays royalties to Ernie Ball for the design rights. There is a difference.;)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ocean Pacific makes basses now?