Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OpaqueBass

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by Matt Call, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why not get some feedback:

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Bougt a gig bag from OB - quick shipping, as described and nice guy.

Recommended.

3. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    made a recent purchase.the deal went smooth,item as described,and was shipped out quickly.no problems at all.he later dropped a line to make sure i got it and it met my approval.would gladly do business again

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Bought a body from him recently. A bass body that is (ho ho ho).
    Smooth transaction.

5. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    i bought a wad o' cds from this guy, fast shipment, great deal! i recommend this guy! thanks, jason

6. Bought some cords and cd's - good transaction. I'd trust him again!

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Man, I sure am late in posting this. Sold an amp to OB, took a while to work out the details, I was pretty busy and he was working on the funding. Gave me a deposit real quick, and came up with the rest by the time he had said he would, as good as his word. Swell to deal with.

8. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Bought a guitar and some DVDs from him. He was in a busy spell, but I wasn't in a rush, and he got the things to me in a nice timeframe. Everything was described perfectly, and was packed excellently -- no surprises, which is ideal! And he's a nice guy to chat with.

Thanks, OB, for the guitar -- it's now my favorite non-bass toy :)

Cheers!

ltt

9. Deiph

Deiph

Jan 21, 2004
    So Cal
    Bought an Aguilar GS410 cab from Matt. It arrived well packed and was even better than described. The price included shipping which turned out to be significantly more expensive than either of us thought it would be. He went ahead with the deal anyway, even though I think he really got hammered on the shipping costs.

He's a real stand-up guy. I would gladly do business with him again. Highly recommended.

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Bought a rackmount case from OB recently. Great deal, had it in my hands a couple days after asking about it. Well packed and in good condition. I think in Ebay terms that's like A+++++++++++++

11. Sold Opaque a nice PJ bass. It took a little while to work out but he's definitely a man of his word. A stellar buyer!

12. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    We negotiated for me to purchase a bass. OB was fast with emails and detailed.

Once I paid, never heard a thing until bugging him after which I received an excuse and a date to expect shipping. That date came and went, several emails went ignored, then I received another excuse and self-made deadline. I said if I didn't have tracking info or a refund by then I'd take care of it myself. That day came and went with no contact - keep in mind during the periods of no contact he had time to visit TB - and by then I'd been out the cash for two weeks and had enough and so I contacted his father and received a refund shortly thereafter.

During all this, I contacted other TBers to find they'd had the same problems with excuses/delays and either didn't mention it in their feedback when the deal finally got done (though look above and notice how many people mention delays) and a few others who didn't wish to leave bad feedback (some dealt with him when he was using a different ID here). I wish they'd left that negative feedback, so although it's unpleasant now I've done it.

I don't think this person intends to steal, but is just very slow and irresponsible once paid. Sometimes delays happen, but there's no excuse for not keeping someone, who's money you have, informed as to what's going on.

13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well... I do get a rebuttal. So...

Delays DO happen. During the timeframe in which the above deal happened there were many that occurred. For instance: 16" of snow, a personal issue (which, if you're really interested you can PM me), and internet failure (if there's someway that I can prove this, please let me know). Also, I was unexpectedly out of town on the "deadline." I was two hours away from home when I realized what had happened, and could not do anything about it; and lo and behold, as soon as I returned home: it was too late.

I often at least try to do what I can to accomodate the needs of people I do transactions with. Whether it be paying a lot more than the expected shipping (Aggie cab), buying a case and not charging anything for it, shipping priority, next-day, etc., or simply charging as little as I can.

Also, if you've got issues with me that you haven't posted any feedback about... DO IT! Please, post the feedback, so that I can be aware of the situation.

For those of you who may be interested: my old screenname was BassmanMRC (SMASH, or any other Mod: feel free to delete or do whatever you deem necessary to that). I changed it after a deal that I felt I got screwed on. Threats were made involving any future sales/purchases that I might have had, so I felt it was necessary to change it. I never thought to take it to a Mod. Then again, it was my first transaction here on TB (if I remember correctly). Again, if you'd like info on this... PM me.

14. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    That's fair, and just FYI no hard feelings from me. I did say that I didn't believe you were attempting a ripoff, just, as I wrote to you, that you seem to have a lot of bad luck come shipping time and need to keep people informed.

Just one thing :

The first deadline came and went and it was a couple days later before I wrote you after not hearing anything.

The final deadline, which was a two-day deadline you came up with, came and went and I didn't escalate things until the *next* day, not two hours later.

Actually two things - internet outages do happen, but you managed to log into TB pretty regularly (I have screen caps of same) during the times I was waiting to hear from you and surely there was an internet cafe, library, friend's computer, or something you could have used? It isn't that big a deal really, but that's what I would have done.

In any case, other than suffer more delays and eventually receive an instrument that was seeming to be cursed for me, I did what I felt I had to do. Kudos to you for clarifying things past and present. I hope whatever problems you are/were having aren't serious.

15. Nehemiah

Nehemiah

Feb 14, 2005
    Ok i ordered a ampeg svt 4 pro head off this guy. I got the head and it works great and in perfect condition. Just one problem he didnt send me the power cable nor the speakon cable for the head. This was part of the deal which I have never recieved after months of telling him that i needed them. So I was out 40 bucks out on a cable that was suppose to come with the head and I had to buy a power cable. If you order off him make sure you get everything recorded. If he dont send me my stuff here soon i have recordings of phone conversations saying that he would send this stuff im going to turn him in or something. It just sucks that you when you were suppose to get something and you dont. His name is Matt Call just incase he changed his name on here. It has been months and still nothing.

16. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I had one other poor experience with OB, and I feel obliged to document it.

In February, I agreed to purchase two pedals (damaged Zoom and BassBalls), paid immediately on a Thursday, and he agreed to ship the following Monday. Two weeks later I follwed up and he said he had forgotten to get one of the two from his brother, and offered to ship the one he did have immediately. I never received either pedal, and approximately three weeks later, with no other offer to satisfy our deal, he sent me a PayPal payment in the amount I originally sent him saying he was having "more issues with the pedals than [he] thought." And since he issued me a payment and not a refund, PayPal deducted its fees from my money, so the net result was that I lost a couple of dollars on the whole thing.

If you read my earlier feedback about another transaction with OB, you'll see my reference to him being in a "busy spell." But since that seems to be a pattern he falls back on, I feel compelled to highlight it. The irony -- I had agreed to purchase the same BassBalls pedal during this transaction with him, and just prior to paying him he pulled it on the basis of it being at his brother's...

Overall, no scam going on here -- I wouldn't accuse him of being a crook. But he doesn't seem committed to dealing with these transactions in a prompt or "professional" manner, and that's not fair to the buyers. Maybe he's shopping things around to multiple buyers at a time, I don't know.

Dude -- if you're swamped, put the deal-making on hold. But once you accept someone's money, treat it like a serious commitment. And if there are problems, keep the buyer updated constantly -- when I was waiting for a reply, and saw that you were still posting ads and messages to the list, I felt very disrespected.

ltt

17. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I received the BassBalls pedal quickly, well packaged and at a more than fair price. I would deal with Matt agin.

Thanks,
    Bill

18. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm a bit reluctant to post this as Matt Call has a history of deleting posts he doesn't like and changing user names.

Matt approached me through PM a number of times when I was selling some pickups. He would offer me a deal, I would accept and then he would renege. He did this a couple of times and I told him he was pissing me off making me offers and then pulling them if I accept. Finally we had a trade, he told me he shipped his end of the deal and would I ship the pickups to a 3rd party. I agreed only to find out he never shipped his end and when I contacted the 3rd party I found out he was getting screwed also.

After many heated emails and profanity from Matt he finally shipped his end of the deal and I sent him the used pickups as per our agreement.

To my surprise he posted the pickups for sale as brand new!!! I posted in that thread they were indeed used and Matt knows this and he simply deleted the thread. Also during the time after he supposedly sent me my item he posted another thread trying to sell it again!!! I posted in that thread and it was instantly deleted.

This is why he changed his user name, to hide from his reputation.

I have talked with a few mods and a few users about Matt and it seems his MO is to make you fight for what's yours and to rip you off if it's easy enough. This way he can claim he follows through with those who are vocal and those who don't want to bother chasing him just get burned and we don't hear about it. Clever huh?

If you want to deal with Matt I would recommend you get your end first before shipping or paying for anything or be ready to deal with a string of excuses on why it's not his fault and he's just a victim. Many people seem to be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on individual deals but when you have seen the same scam so many times it becomes clear it's not an accident but just a pattern to increase his profit on these deals. It's one thing if a person has to jump through hoops to get him to be responsible for his offers but when it's a large number of people it's intentional in my opinion.

Mods, please prevent him from just deleting this thread like all the others.

19. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wow. Let me reiterate... Wow.

I never said that I had shipped the pedal at this time. Yes, the pickups were to be sent to a third party. I was to trade my bass and the said pickups for his bass. I don't see how the third party could have gotten screwed. HE backed out of the deal that we had. I have no idea how that was me screwing him over. I'm also pretty sure that I would have said something if I'd shipped the pedal to you already. I don't recall ever saying that I had shipped the pedal prior to when I actually did (as I recall being somewhat angered at the time).

Of course, the emails must have been sparked by something. I may have used some profanity, I don't recall exactly. As immature as it sounds... he started it. I was also very angered due to the fact that Moo questioned and challenged my morals, integrity, religious beliefs, etc. in a very negative way.

I said, "as far as I can tell, they have never been installed." I honestly did not know if they had been or not. Yes, I did delete the thread; but only to get the facts straight so that nobody got screwed into thinking that they were new pickups.

This was prior to even Moo shipping the pickups. You need to get your facts straight. I posted it for sale because, as far as I knew, we had no deal. When you posted in the thread, I did not delete the thread. I simply said that the pedal was no longer for sale, and removed it from the thread.

Wrong again. I changed usernames to prevent you from following through with a threat that you made to me in an email. You specifically said that you would prevent me from ever being able to buy or sell anything on TB ever again. This was prior to the creation of the Feedback forum. What was I supposed to do? I'd like to know, please tell me.

Sure... I'm not even touching this. I don't feel like writing a book.

You know. I shipped something before someone fully paid for it. They still owe me that money. I don't believe that there is a single person on this entire forum that I currently owe anything to. Scam, huh? I think it'd be declared a scam if I never actually sent anything to anyone that has sent me money. If somebody sent me money, they either recieved what they bought from me or a refund (now that I actually know how to do that the right way on paypal...) It's not only funny that you say I do this intentionally, but that you accuse me of doing it intentionally to increase my profits. I have quite often, in fact, taken a cut in profits to send thing out. Whether it be because of extra insurance, more expensive packing materials, better shipping methods, etc. It's not because I have to, it's because I am trying to do what works best for the person I'm sending it too.

Oh, it's nice that you're bringing this up over a year after the fact too.

Well.... looks like I have a thread to delete. :rollno:

20. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Matt just bought my Presonus tube pre.... quick with the payment and a very nice guy as well ... would definitely deal with again.
    - Tom