Open A rattles, Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ScretHate, Sep 20, 2002.

1. ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    When I play an open A, it rattles. It doesn't rattle when i play any fretted notes on the A string, only when I play open. I use this note a lot and it sounds HORRIBLE. I recently switched to a lower gauge string and changed my setup accordingly. Everything is fine except my open A rattles like crazy.

heres an mp3 of whats going on

help. thx
  2. You went down a gauge of strings... Perhaps the A string is moving about in the nut, try putting some cardboard or packing of some sort under the string in the nut.

3. ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    will try, what do you think about foam? Thanks. I wish my bass tech would have known this...
  4. It's a pretty common problem with 4 in line A strings. Also, make sure the winding on the post is low enough to get some downward tension on the nut.
  5. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Try tin foil. I've used that and it worked like a charm.
  6. How does that affect the sound of the string? I have never used tin foil, might give it a shot if it ever comes up. So the metal on metal... how does/or if that effects anything?

7. ChaosGwar may be onto something, IMHO. If you've cut the A string too short, you will not be able to wind it around the peg enough times, it will not exert sufficient downward pressure at the nut and it'll rattle.
  8. Metal on Metal is always good, just ask Anvil :)

('80s metal humor)
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Didn't we do this thread a week ago?
  10. Yeah its ground hog day.. sheesh man!

11. I think every day is groundhog day!
  12. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    You might want to check where the tuning post attaches to the headstock. On my bass there are nuts that keep the tuners secure, and it took me a long time to realize that the rattling I heard sometimes was coming from a loose nut on one of the tuning posts.