Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Open A String Buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 4stringthing, Jul 22, 2002.

1. 4stringthing

4stringthing

May 10, 2001
    Arkansas
    :confused: HELP ME!
    I was cleaning my bass tonight and I ran into a problem. I put my strings back into the bass and the A string started buzzing. It sounds fine fretted. I already tried taking it and putting it back in (3 times). What's wrong?

-Dustin

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Is it audible through an amp? If not, you should be okay, my bass does that, infact quite a few basses do (well at least in my experience) it shouldn't be anything to worry about. If your really concerned, you should probably get it checked out.

3. If you just changed strings, how far down the post are the windings? If they are too high, chances are they are not getting enough break over the nut, and it is vibrating in the nut. I had this problem, along with many others, and usually that is the problem. Also, the nut may be worn down a little on the A. When fretted, you are giving the string more of a break angle over the nut, so it doesn't vibrate.

Try rewinging the string lower on the post. If that doesn't work let me know.

4. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Temporary quick fix: put a tiny piece of tin foil in the nut just under the string.