Open back guitar cab for high end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by duncbass, May 21, 2004.

1. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I haven't taken the time to try this yet but I won't let that keep me from posting.

I have a Peavey Vintage 100watt 212 guitar amp that I practice through. Open back of course so it's only good at very low volume levels but the tone is unbelievable. Colored, absolutly. Sounds very warm with a lot of harmonic content. I have yet to try hooking it up to my 212 DrBass so I need to try that but I also want to try putting a crossover or low pass between it and it's internal speakers and also using the bass cab. Could this actually be a bass rig? I think I'd try to cut it off pretty low, 100hz maybe? I suppose a variable xover would be helpful to experiment.

On the other hand I should probably just use my Thunderfunk and DrBass 212 which also sounds great but more like the bass would direct.

So is this the stupidest or 2nd stupidest idea you've ever heard?

2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    A low-pass filter wouldn't work. It'd send all the lows to the guitar speakers and cut out all the high frequencies. You'd need either a high-pass filter or a crossover to do it. :)

I ran the high-frequency crossover output on my Aggie DB680 into my little Fender Frontman guitar amp once... it sounded okay. But that Fender doesn't sound very good to begin with, so I couldn't really come to the conclusion of whether it was a good idea or not.

I also tried putting a distortion pedal between the 680 and the guitar amp... and that sounded pretty cool. Useless, but cool nonetheless. :D
  3. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    Yeah, I meant high pass. It just came out wrong. And at the rate I work it'll be months before I get around to this.

I did try biamping years ago when I had a GK800RB. Never really got a good sound though. This would be different though. Let you know if/when I get around to it.

4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    When I was young and dumb, I bought a used Peavey Session 500 steel guitar amp that had a 15 with an open back. Because it had a 15, I thought that it would work for bass. Then, because I was craving more low end, I bought a beat Peavey 2x15 cabinet which wasn't as loud because it was rated at 8 ohms vs. the 4 ohms of the Session amp. Man I was dumb back then! :meh:
  5. I used to have a Trace Elliot AH600SMX which had an xover on it. When i was at college, we had Peavey TKO amps that had plenty of lows but no upper mids and top end. As a result haing no available cabs for the trace to drive I used to have a bit of a biamp thing going on. Id use a TKO for the bottom and employ a Peavey Envoy guitar amp to drive the top, fully crossed over at just over 250hz, worked great.