1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Open "E" Fuzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by paste, Jan 17, 2012.

1. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Ive tried every solution to try and fix this nasty fuzz I get every time I pluck the open E string or if I pluck any of the lower frets hard. I changed batterys, strings and now starting to think it might be the cables fault. I'm using a pretty cheap $7 Hosa guitar cable thru a 15 watt combo amp and even playing at around 3 volume with the volume on my pre-amp about 3/4 with EQ all 12 o' clock, this fuzz is present on the open "E" and lower frets of the "E" string. If I shrink the pre-amp to about 1/2 way, still at 3 volume on the combo, the "fuzz" dissapears which then makes me wonder if my pre-amp is too "hot"? so does anyone have a clue what the problem may be?

Edit: BTW "lower frets" = the frets closer to the neck

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Yeah, it sounds like your signal is too hot for the input, try lowering your pickups under the E string.

3. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    +1 lower the pups

4. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Okay lowering the pups on the E string side helped ridd the "fuzz" but now the E string is now relatively quiter then the G string :help:

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Adjust your pickups relative to where they are under the E string until you get a balanced sound. I don't know what kind of bass you have but if it has 2 pickups then make sure you adjust them to have equal volume.

6. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    Pickup hight adjustment is really hair-splitting. Even a fraction of a millimetre can make a distinctive change IME. So be patient, it might take some time and really tiny adjustments until you'll find the PERFECT hight for the pups.

7. Agost

Agost

Dec 25, 2011
    Italy
    Small combo amps suffer at lower frequencies,i think it's amp's fault.

What's the action on the E string?

8. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I would say medium low ish

9. Agost

Agost

Dec 25, 2011
    Italy
    Try to measure it at the 12th fret and then write it...and what about the neck ?

10. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    sorry, still at school but i'll get measurements as soon as i get home

11. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    1.5 mm at the 12th
    5mm from the neck pickup to the E string and 4mm at the bridge pickup.

12. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    This is most likely your amp, not the bass or cable try going to a music store with your bass and play through some different amps.
    FWIW. practice amps aren't really meant to sound all that great they're just meant to sound good enough to practice with.

13. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    What are you using to measure with, not that it's impossible but 1.5 mm is not action that most basses are able to achieve.

14. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I was usinga regular old 12 inch measuring stick (super inacurate) so I am ptobubly quite off on the measurements. Btw just ran my bass thru a friends marshall and the open E fuzz was gone so i guess it was the amp. thanks for helping people.

15. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Oh ya btw I had to re raise the pups back to its normal height because the E was way too quite. I guess I could live with some fuzz