Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

open jams in The Studio

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Youngspanion, May 1, 2005.

1. Last night I went to a place called The Studio On 30th between 7th and 8th. Everybody there was great and made me feel right at home. I was the only bassist all night so I was able to enjoy it to the Max. It was my first time playing with people and so of course I was intimidated by the whole thing. Ive been playing blues alot by myself so I knew where the music was going most of the time. The only song I was stupid on was a Meters song that I just played the root note C the whole ten minuts. Im definitly gong back there and I hope to improve with each time I go.

2. Welcome to The Studio.
    You are so right about this being a fantastic place to play. I've been playing at the Studio for about a year now and am never disappointed. The great thing I can tell you is that your experience was not a one time experience. It is great all the time. The only thing is you might not be the only bass player in a room for the entire evening. Bob & Denise run a great thing so enjoy it. If you liked the jam you have to try one of the workshops. Just ask Denise for the details. For any body that lives near NYC you have to give The Studio a try.

Howard

3. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I also know The Studio well (I'm an original member) and I'm friendly with the owner. youngspanion, are you a member? If not, you should consider it. They do workshops for all levels that result in public performances at places like the Bitter End and The China Club. It's a really cool thing they have going on there.

Tom

4. No Tappel, I am not a member but I am going to become one soon. I first want to go again and give it a try on a night when there are more people there. But I definitly want to do a workshop. I want to get on stage and play with a band that has rehersed some good material. Believe me this was some mountain to climb,but climb it I did. Now to the next mountain.By the way, do you know if theres parking around there? I didnt get a chance to look. The ferry back and forth to Staten Island was way too long!

5. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Thats funny my time playing with people was a similar experience at the studio in an open jam. I had a lot of fun that night. But ihavent been to an opem jam since. I do practise there with a couple of friends from work. That 3 weeks to the stage thing seems cool but why is it so expensive to join if your already a member?