1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Open Letter to all drummers -

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TC2112, Dec 6, 2011.

1. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    One of the best drum intros ever!

3. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Why are you writing a letter to drummers in a bass forum?

4. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    I thought it'd be more along the lines of

"Dear Drummers. If you don't have your timing down, and you don't think metronomes are a good thing to use for your private practice, please don't ask me to be in your band. Furthermore, if you think a song is just a template for your solos and awesome tricky fills and you think a simple beat is boring, see above. Sincerely, the Bassist that actually has better time than you"

Sounds mean, but that's the way it is. Vent OFF.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

That's excellent advice for any player regardless of instrument.

IMHO

6. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    1. It's rhetoric, which seems to be lost on you
    2. There are several drummers who frequent this board
    3. Why are you posting if you have nothing insightful to add?

7. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    +1000

8. +1 :confused:

9. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

Ragging on drummers is a fun thing that most TB'ers like to do.

Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

10. Yeah, but this thread's not really a rag on drummers. It's just the OP'er telling us all that he really likes that song by Led Zepplin. In order to find an excuse to post a link to the song, he thought of making it look like it was a letter addressed to drummers. :rolleyes:
    Seems kinda lame to me; like one of those TV commericals that insults your intelligence. Like the orange juice commerical where the guy has a staring contest with an orange.

The commerical and the OP both make me say, "Really?" :meh:

11. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    some of us... go both ways. :cool:

12. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Excellent point! :D

13. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Bi-rhythmic?:confused:

14. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
  15. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    Actually - you're very wrong. I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan, I am however a fan of this style of drummer, and use this particular piece, or a few similar type pieces to explain to potential drummer replacements as to what I am looking for in a style of player. It was posted as rhetoric to start a discussion amongst bass players regarding drummers, overplaying, and rhythm in general; as are most posts that start threads, intended to generate conversation. Surprisingly, this concept seems lost on you.

The high hat, kick and snare combination work on this particular song is a perfect example of "less is more"

And apparently that commercial worked on you, because you've remembered it.

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    :D

exactly.

17. I'm a drummer...

18. Apparently it didn't because I don't know the product name (which is why I only referred to orange juice and not a brand name). :eyebrow:

It's ironic to think of bassists complaining of drummers overplaying when there are so many stories of guitarists complaining of bassists overplaying. I've played with guitarists who I think overplay too.

I think the bottom line for all of us (drummers, guitarists, bassists, etc.) is to leave some room in the music for other things. In a 3 piece that may not be as crucial but for other groupings I think it is. Seems natural for us to try to fill the space if it's there. It's harder to leave the space there and consider how it can be filled by someone else.

AC/DC has good examples of simple rhythms too. That said, the drumming style in the example tune wouldn't be appropriate for all styles of music. Rock and Country, sure. Jazz, various Latin styles, etc...not really.

19. Because who is going to read it to them?

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]