Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Open Mic Again- booooring

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JWC, May 10, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I went to open mic night last night and this one guitar dude that is always there was the only guitarist again. All we ever play is stuff he knows. He always goes into a song and says "follow me". But if I tell him to follow me he says he doesn't know the song. Now, that sounds like a double standard to me. Why do us bassists get pused back and expected to be everybody's damn back up player? And the few songs I wanted to play, I had to sit there and tell him every note to play (which is totally fine). But he never tells me. However, he does let the other guitarist know what chords and notes to play. Thats wrong.

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    You brought up a good one. I think it is because it IS more difficult to follow the lead of a bass player than a chord instrument. That being said did you bring up a well-known song that you can be the singer of as well. This is the best shot at running the tune I can think of.

jc

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I know what you mean. I get tired of guitarists who do this too. I think a lot of people think of bassists as that person who stands in the back providing support for the other players.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My last experience at an open night and I do mean my LAST one. Was at a blues club.
    I brought my bass and my little 100 watt GK. One guy that I know who is a decent blues singer asked me to come up and back him up. Unfortunately a guitar player that was known for being extremely loud was also invited. We had played about 3 tunes with a few lead soloes for the guitar players and keyboard players and a few horns. On the last tune on the first solo break the singer turned around and pointed at me everybody laid back while I started to solo about two measures into it the loud guitar player cranked it and soloed over what I was playing. I just gave the guy a dirty look and packed up my stuff after the tune and left. That was a few years ago, if it would have happened these days he would have had his strat shoved 3/4 of the way up his @ss!

5. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    So it ISN'T just me, where open mic's are concerned. I don't think I'll EVER do another one either. I can find all the primadonnas I want amongst my guitar playing compadres...

And, to think I made the sick mistake of using an open mic as my fist time out in public......

6. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    And, to think I made the sick mistake of using an open mic as my fist time out in public......

Oops - make that "FIRST" out in public.....

Though I do feel like I was, well......guess I should keep it clean here......maybe the original typing was a Freudian slip......

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Before audtioning a new band for a club, I like to check crowd response at an open mic. They also help for introducting a new song into the set.