1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Open string output

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jpark, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    On my jazz bass when I hit an open A (EADG) it's output is very low compared to the other strings played open. When I fret a note on the A string, the output is fine, it's just low when played open. I'm using a gotoh 201 bridge.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Possibly the nut or tuners?

2. since it is only on the open string, I would guess it is at the nut, try removing the string and see if you notice anything unusuall

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If the output is low on the A string, I can pretty well guarantee it will be even lower if you remove the string :p

4. quite true, but it is possible that the nut slot is to wide, or something else compromissing the ridgitity of the nut that would alter the vibrations of the string

5. reddogbass

reddogbass

Aug 17, 2006
    What Spud said-

But first, I'd try a new/different string. Then I'd go after a nut problem. Bridge saddles won't typically create this problem, but I've seen seats at the ball-end that weren't tight until fretted.

I've also seen this problem where a string retainer on the offending string fixed it. Not a real fix to be sure, but it compensated for the problem. That's about the best we can do in this forum situation.

Just keep after it-