1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Open String Ring

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DreadyDiggs, May 11, 2015.

1. My brand new bass (SR305) and my older 5 string both do the same thing.

Play the 4th fret on the G string and the A string also vibrates and sounds off, and I just tried the 2nd fret and the E string will vibrate enough to be audible. Like it transfers the vibration through the bridge. I think there's one or two more notes on the G string that will cause it.

They have different bridges on them but the saddles all stick close together on each bass. Do I need to angle them to prevent this? I wanted to ask before I messed with that. All I've done so far is lower the action, but it was doing it before and after.

I can of course mute the strings, but I didn't think they were supposed to do that. The 4 strings don't do it of course. What's the deal?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    In terms of how physics works, they are supposed to do that.

Mute them with your fingers.

3. Yea, I was just making sure that it wasn't an issue with the saddles. I been on the 5s for a while and was always afraid to ask anyone, just played.

I think I noticed it the second day I had the first 5, that was probably 2 years ago.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Think of it this way...all your strings and bridge parts are attached to the same piece of wood. The whole instrument vibrates.

Some basses are more 'live' sounding than others, so they need a little more careful muting.

DreadyDiggs likes this.