Open to Suggestions : Fretless Jazz Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Exo-Politician, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Greetings Ladels and Jellyspoons,

I have been banned from buying any new basses but have been approved to build one.

I am not a craftsmen of any kind so by build I mean a parts build.

I have a gap for a Fretless Jazz that I have been craving for lately.

I will likely get the body and possibly the neck from Warmoth and source everything else from wherever gets the best deal.

I am open to any ideas from wood, to tops to necks, colours, preamps, colours, anything!

Without any research, I have pondered the following:

Figured Walnut Top
    Walnut Neck and Body
    Ebony Unlined Fingerboard
    Mike Pope Preamp configured like an Xotic J
    Delano Alnico Jazz Pickups
    Schaller Tuners and Bridge and Straplocks
    Graphtech TUSQ Black Nut
    Flats..of course

No expert on woods but happy to take any advice.

2. I would be careful with a solid walnut neck and body. The bass could easily end up as heavy as a boat anchor. If you do decide on a walnut body from Warmoth, look into having it chambered to shave some weight off.

Otherwise, sounds like a good project.

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    It's not that heavy. It's lighter than Northern white ash, and a little heavier than swamp ash. But if you are used to alder or basswood basses, it could feel pretty heavy. Chambering isn't a bad idea, though. You could save some weight by using Hipshot ultralight clover tuners. They look basically the same from the front, but are a good deal lighter than the Schaller BMLs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hipshot-hb6c-3-8-bass-tuning-machine-set

lbridenstine likes this.
  4. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Builder of the Wastelands Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    Your choices sound VERY nice! Are you planning on finishing it yourself, or having them come pre-finished?

5. I didn't really give much thought to weight. I'll look into it.

In regards to finish, my father in law is a Fibreglass Glider maker and does all my refins so is doing the finishing for me.

He does amazing work.