Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Open to suggestions..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Feb 7, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Allright, after liking a few more heads and cabs, i'm just gonna ask a question or two.

What would be a good head/cab combo for a sound with big full lows, a nice scooped sound, lots of punch (Like, chest thumping punch), low mids/growl. I'd like a couple 10's just to get some crunch and better cutting mids.

I do like a 15/2x10 combo, but i also like some 4x10's (Mesa) on thier own (I liked it more with a 15 under it though). Right now my swr WM 210/15 combo sounds good, it just doesn't have enough volume. So what about 2x15/4x10? Would i get a similar sound as to what i get now? Just double the size?

I'm looking for something to suit genres of old school rock/reggae/ska/funk.

So, hit me with suggestions. I'm open to anything and will try as many as i can.

P.S Sorry if i'm a bit vague/bad sentence structure, i'm rushing this and i'm damn tired.

Cheers.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Scooped sound and cutting mids are opposite of each other. Which do you prefer?

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, i like a really punchy scooped tone more. But i don't want to get lost in the mix with my band. That's the only reason i want to be able to cut better. I don't mean for my tone to be all mids, just something to help me get through.

Would a 4x10/2x15 setup have a similar tone to 2x10/1x15? Or should I look at twelves again (maybe 4?) to get nice lows, thumping punch, but be able to cut through a little bit better than using a 15.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't normally associate a punchy tone with a 15". Sure there are exceptions. I am just speaking generally. I'd look hard at a 210 or 410 cab for that. You'll also find that punch in a 12".

Heck...you're a reggae dude....get a 215 and a 118. You'd be able to vibrate walls a mile away. Throw in a 210 for some punch! You'd have a killer rig for all those genres you listed.

-Mike

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, well that's what i was thinking 2x15 and a 4x10. 4x10 for the low-mid punchy..punch? and 2x15 for the more low end thump. It's kind of hard to define punch i suppose. But i do need something to fit the old school rock band, as it's my main gig at the moment, and will be for a while. I was looking at mesa PH or even RR 4x10's for now, then later on i could add a 2x15, or a couple 12's if i wanted.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you have the money, space, and muscle....go for the 410 and 215 rig. You can also get by with half that....210 and 115, which sounds like what you have now.

You like what you have, you just want it louder, right? The SWR is a 15" combo and you have a 210 cab with it? If so, I'd look at replacing the combo with a new amp and a new 115. If SWR rocks your world, get something like the 750 or 900 and one of their 115's. You'd also be really happy with a 115 from Bag End. Have a look at the Acme cabs if you can....amazing low end in their 210 and 410's.

-Mike

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Nah, i have a WM 15 and 2x10 (Not combo's) and warwick profet III head.

I'm not a fan of SWR heads, but i do like their cabs. Though sometimes i wish i could get more low end out of my rig.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well.....that will make it easier for you to change your rig out. Look at replacing the Warwick for something more powerful.

I bet you would be amazed at the low end out of an Acme 210, and a Bag End 115.

-Mike

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i'm gonna get to try out an acme soon. Never used bag end though. Would a good 210/15 rig give me that big punch though? Or would i be better off with a 410?

Also, what's the low end like on a mesa 6x10? And any opinions on one?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you go the 2x10/1x15 route, I would recommend Bergantino or Epifani. I was also thinking that an Epifani T-212/T-210 might hit the tone that you are going after. The new Bergie HT210S/EX210S might also be a combo worth looking at. Based upon your stated tonal desires, my thoughts are that either Bergantino or Epifani are your best bet. Another good option might be one of Jorg Schroeder's cabs. It probably all depends upon your subjective interpretation of the words you are using to describe your sound.

Hope this helps, Tom.

11. TheKalle

TheKalle

Feb 8, 2005
    Milan, Italy
    Have you ever tried a Glockenklang?
    The Bass Art Classic MkII cab, has a very well defined sound and probably can stisfy what you need with one box only.
    I have tried it but was a bit too expensive, but se sound clearness was really impressive.