Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Open Up My Eden 112 and ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Feb 6, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    OK here's what's going on....

i have a new Eden 112 XLT, it's has a "crackling" problem - it sounds like a bad connection type thing when i play....i have done all the trouble shooting that i could stand :D (hey, it's a long process when you start all the way from my bass to my amp to the cabs)....anyway i really didn't want to open up the cab cause' it's brand new and i didn't want to void any warranty....so i called the person i bought it from and he told me to open up the cab and check the connections in the cab, so i opened up the x-over part and it looked fine. i waited until tonight to check the actual speaker connection, because at last night's gig, i just couldn't take the "crackling" sound anymore. i just finished checking it and i found something very, very unusual!!! There was a disc attached to the back of the magnet on the 12, but it didn't look right. i took it off and took pics of it....what is this thing? was i supposed to leave it on? anyway, it just doesn't look correct and i'm thinking that it has something to do with the "crackling" problem!

some of you guys are the best troubleshooters around and i thought i would give you guys a crack at it...here are the pics:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's another pic:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's the back of the 112 without the UFO (unidentified foreign object) :D

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think it's a secret monitoring device placed there by eden. put tinfoil on your head to block the control rays or you'll end up like munji - :p

5. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    does this thing fit through any portholes in the cab? It could have snuck in throu there. either that, or your cab is area 52

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you know what, could it be the tweeter mag? maybe! i'm still waiting for my cordless batt to charge up..

dam tweeter aliens! :spit:

:D

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    looks like it is the tweeter magnet! :(

how the hell did it jump off the tweeter and land on the 12? i wonder if this is a defect?

bummer!

:(

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Eden has out a 112XST?? Now I guess I have to get rid of my XLT's and upgrade to the XST. When will it stop. :eyebrow:

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    and btw, if this magnet jumped of the tweeter and onto the 12 mag, i'm wondering if it damaged anything on the inside of the cab?

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If the tweeter isn't working, then I'd say that we are indeed looking at the tweeter magnet. How are things in the high frequencies?

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it is the tweeter magnet - it is confirmed

i'm not at all worried about the store i bought it from - the store and salesperson are worldclass, i'm just bummed on the process to make things better, thinks take time, but i gig alot.

bummer

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    noooooooo
    not a defect.
    it's supposed to do that. honest.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    So the 112XST is kinda whizzy but not really :)

I can't see it being a big problem to fix. Provided the horn is in stock they should be able to replace it in minutes.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was really hoping that the punchline was going to be something along the lines of: "...and a leprechaun jumped out!"

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you would think that the magnet is attached with a bolt or some nuts

must be a trick tweeter magnet

maybe if i leave him alone, he'll just hop back to the tweeter :D

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think your tweeter always wanted to be a woofer when it grew up...

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think this is an example of "quantum spookiness" applied to large objects.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I was going to call the bomb squad.

Problem with having a big ole magnet is that they attract
    loose ferrous objects, especially during production.

Don't they plug that sucker in and play a few notes after they build it? At GM they start the engine and drive the vehicle off the line eventually.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Odds are the glue on that tweeter magnet fractured in transit well after post-production final test. Lucky it didn't find its way to the woofer cone instead of the other magnet! BTW, using bolts for mounting magnet assemblies is far from foolproof, I've seen fractured bolts on big heavy woofers a few times as well.