Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Open Water

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jan 22, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Saw it last night. Kind of a different movie. I liked the fact that it was done by a guy and his wife...that's it. No crew. Made it much more interesting to me.

I guess the husband kept his dayjob and they worked on the movie on the weekends. They'd fly the two actors along with themselves down to whatever island they were going to be on filming on that day and then fly back to continue with their normal lives. After work, the husband (who set up a small video editing studio in their apartment) would edit the film. I just love any kind of do it yourself projects like that.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i cant believe they lasted as long as they did...

me? i would have drowned myself within 3 hours or immediately after seeing the first shark. LOL

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    No doubt. I don't dig sharks...at all. Those scenes where the sharks were like bumping into them and stuff, really freaked me out. Those actors were insane.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

this was supposedly based on a true story ...

how do they know how long the couple survived ?
    why wern't passenger names taken by the boat master
    before they left port ?
    the scene with the channel marker floating past them was
    unreal , why didn't they swim up to it and await rescue ?

there is no way to tell the actual ending of those unlucky people ...
    i've had my own experience with a shark , and the tension created by the movie was real .
    i give the director credit for using real sharks .

guess i just expected a different ending ... :meh:

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well they were both CIA agents who needed to "disappear". I bet they are living as Mr and Mrs Sanchez somewhere off the coast of Spain right now. :D

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I had the same question about how they knew exactly what happened to the two poor people, until I watched the "making of" segment on the DVD. They said it was just losely based on it. The ending, they took their own creative liberty with. The couple that made the movie are scuba divers themselves and had read an article about a couple that got left behind and never turned up. Also, I think rules about head counts vs. getting the names of divers varies by country. Maybe some experienced divers can shed more light on this for us.

Interestingly enough, 20/20 (or some other news program) did a thing on about a couple that this had happened to in Australia. They never found their bodies, but the couple had managed to attach their IDs along with a message on a piece of floating garbage saying something like "We were left behind blah blah blah" that ended up washing ashore.

Large bodies of water freak me out as it is, so the idea of being dropped off in the middle of the ocean with absolutely no control really doesn't appeal to me.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Uh oh, dude. I'd expect a visit from the CIA soon. I'd run :bag:

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Kind of like the creative license taken with The Perfect Storm I guess...you don't really know what all went down on that boat.

brad cook

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I know quite a few sailors who hated that movie.

10. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Open Water = Me Sleeping :p