1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opened the Cab...what do I have?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluesbreaker5, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    I've got a no-name cabinet with two 8 ohm 10" Peavey Scorpion speakers. So do I have an 8 ohm cab or a 4 ohm cab?

Thanks!

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Well, it's either 4 or 16 ohms depending on the wiring.

3. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Thanks for a FAST response.....so how can I tell? What do I look for in the wiring?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Check the speaker cables. It will say on it how it is wired. Just kidding. :D

-Mike

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Coming from the jack ,do you have two wires going to each speaker (4ohms)or is it one to each speaker and a single wire connecting the two.(16 ohms)

6. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Coming from the jack, there is one wire that splits at the end with 2 connectors to the speaker. Then there is one wire that is split at both ends and connects to both speakers.

7. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    That sounds like they're in series which equals 4 ohms

8. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    You mean parallel right?? And yes, that would be 4 ohms.

9. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Maybe I said it wrong.....there's only one wire from the jack. It splits at the first speaker. Then there is one wire that's split at both ends and connects the two speakers. Is that still 4ohms?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you're still saying it wrong. There has to be two wires from the jack, perhaps in the same jacket. When you say it splits at the first speaker, I assume you mean than the two wires are connected to the two lugs on the first speaker. Then, another pair of wires (also in one jacket) run from those lugs to the lugs on the second speaker. If that's the case, they're in parallel, and the cab is 4 ohms.

11. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    That's it!! You're a genius! Thanks to everyone for your help. Now I have a 4 ohm cab......unfortunately, I needed an 8 ohm one. I guess it goes back tomorrow. Thanks again, everyone!

12. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Also, the Scorpion 10's are not much for low end. I don't know that Peavey used them much full-range, usually above an 18 for mids and highs.

13. My Scorpion 15 handles an open E very well; below that, there's not much there.
    The Scorpion 10's in my 1820 are on their way out, I'm going to replace them with some Eminence Deltas. I don't like them at all...it might just be the crossover point at 500hz, but there's something missing that those Delta's really make up for if I use my Avatar 210 and solo the 18".
    C7

14. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have a pair of Scorpion + 15's I've used many times; pretty decent driver for the money. I like what the Kevlar does for the cone.