Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opened Up for Diamond Rio!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by natebass, Aug 15, 2004.

1. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    About a month ago I got an email to play a 'private' party for a nationwide company (Food Service America - you know, they sell the big tubs of potato salad to restaurants/delis; stuff like that). I agreed to do the gig - figuring it to be a small affair. Maybe 200 people, tops.

Anyways, I get there and the place is huge - and I mean HUGE! It was on Vashon Island (Puget Sound) at a place called Misty Isle Ranch, and I swear to God it was like 2 square miles. But what made it huge was the fact that the headlining band was Diamond Rio, a band that has won ACM awards and Grammies...it was probably one of the biggest gigs I've ever done. Had to be about 5k people there as well.

Anyways, it was a pro-stage set up with crew and everything. The crew for Diamond Rio though were kind of jerks though. Anyways, I'm just jazzed to be able to have done the gig. I hope I get to do it again!

2. Wow - Diamond Rio is big!!

I used to like country music, but don't listen to it much anymore. However, I remember Diamond Rio as being one of my favorites.

Congrats :cool: Post pictures if you have any. :)

3. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    Not really, we got one of my wife (6 1/2 mths pregnant) with her best friend with the guitar player, but they were pretty anti-social. I saw the bass player "backstage", waved and was not acknowledged. Didn't bug me too much, after being snubbed by their road crew. The road crew were working pretty quick until they found out after they were done setting up, we could soundcheck and get started. It took them roughly 2 hours what a normal working crew could do in about 20 minutes.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ronnie Dio?

That would be cool.

Uhm, I know Diamond Rio enough to know they are big/country/not my bag. But the big part is cool for you! :D

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One of my old buds ran sound for Diamond Rio several years ago. I've since lost contact with him. I sure hope he isn't still with them and one of the "jerks" you experienced. He was never a jerk before . . .

6. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    No, it was the techs that were REALLY the jerks. I mean, how long does it take to tune a banjo? I don't play banjo, but I don't think it takes 1/2 an hour....or 45 minutes to take out a "grand piano" (kybd in grand piano shell) of it's case....

7. I was subbing in for a band that was scheduled as an opening act at Billy Bob's last March and they were opening for Colin Raye on Friday night and Diamond Rio on Saturday night. They ended up getting a full time bass player before the gig rolled around. (I declined because my wife was also pregnant and I didn't want to be working too many gigs - Small world?)

Oh well they are now a House band at Billy Bob's and have opened for many other big names and played all 5 nights during the Willie Nelson 4th of July week. Such is life and being a family man. :crying:

8. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Diamond Rio's guitarist, Jimmy Olander, is phenomenol! He's pretty highly regarded in country/twang guitar circles.

Speaking of Colin Raye, I believe that he plays bass on his own tour. There are pics of him doing so on the Spector site - kinda cool.

9. I didn't know that one. I have heard Diamond Rio is top notch, and even if you don't love their music you will appreciate what they do live.

10. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Here's one of the pics that they have posted under the 'Artists' section. I think it's cool for a singer/solo artist of his caliber(he can really belt it out) to get down and play with the band - very cool!

http://www.spectorbass.com/images/artists/collinraye3lrg.jpg