Opened up my new Eden WT-550 to check out the tube... anybody try swapping the tube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 21, 2004.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    First off, I have to say that I am very happy with the new WT-550 head. Great tone, headroom and punch, and warmth with a bit of growl if desired. You can dial in tons of deep tube-style bottom as needed.

I opened up the amp to see what kind of tube was in there (I've been curious) , and I was surprised to find a Ruby 12AX7. It sounds so good that I'm not going to fool with it for now. However, I've read many posts here at TB from posters who have swapped out the preamp tube(s) for their various brands of bass amps; they talk about using 5751s, or various makes of 12AX7s, 12AU7s, 12AY7s, 12AT7s, etc.

I was wondering if anyone out there has swapped out the tube for their Eden head, specifically, and if they have a favored choice which sounds better than the stock Eden tube?
  2. I've tried a few different tubes in my WT-500 and the differences between them were rather subtle. The way the Eden uses the tube in the circuit the tube type doesn't have as much effect on the sound as on most other amps. FWIW, the stock tube sounded best to me....
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Strange. I thought Edens shipped with 7025's in them. My WT-300 has one. I swapped it for a GT 12AX7, and it didn't sound the same ... a little less punch, perhaps. I ordered a replacement tube from Eden, and got a Ruby 7025. They used to have 7025's with the Eden label on them. Probably made by Ruby (in China) anyway. I'd try a GT 7025 next time, just for kicks.
  4. widjajar

Apr 21, 2003
    How's your MTD sounds with the Eden compared to iAmp ?
    I just ordered Eden wt 550 and has been using iAmp before, I play mtd bass too.